Wellness > Health

Workouts for Gaining Upper Body Muscle at Home! Perfect for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MDC chapter.

Growing up, I’ve always been the skinny girl. I never really gave my appearance much thought until I got to high school. People would assume that because I was skinny, it’s perfectly okay to make comments about my body. It’s not! I hated when people would ask me if I lost weight. I especially hated when people would tell me I needed to gain weight. As a result, I fight to stay body positive every day. A lot of people don’t understand that just because someone is thin, it does not mean they don’t have body insecurities. Now, don’t get me wrong, I know that bigger girls have it harder. I know society is tougher on a bigger girl than a skinny one, but it does not invalidate the experiences skinny girls have. I’ve been trying to gain muscle for a long time, I have a subscription for the gym, but most classes that are advertised “for women”, are all for burning fat. Now, that’s perfectly fine, most women want to lose weight, not gain muscle. However, where does that leave us skinny girls?! I wanted to find workouts that would sculpt my body but didn’t feel too manly. I understand a lot of people can’t afford the gym, so I’ve created a list of workouts that are perfect for girls looking to gain muscle. These workouts are easy to do at home, they’re great for beginners, and you don’t need any weights, bands, or gym equipment. Your gym shoes aren’t even needed! Before I begin, I’d like to disclose that I drink a protein shake after every workout or eat a meal with healthy proteins. I’d also like to state that working out is not just about appearance, it helps with body aches, lifting up one’s mood, fatigue, and overall sluggishness. There is nothing wrong with your body, and there is no shame in wanting to enhance yourself, as long as you’re doing it healthily.

Working out your upper body and core

1. Push Up’s

Pushups are not as scary as they seem! If you can’t do a push up yet, try the modification of getting on your knees. Make sure your form is good, your spine should be straight. Do eight to twelve reps, for 3 sets.

2. Chair dips to work out your arms

This workout is perfect for working out those arms with no weight! As I stated earlier, please check your form. You want the chair, bench, or table to be roughly 1-2 feet off the ground, and sturdy. You’re going to want to place your arms behind you, your butt should be in the air, and your feet firmly on the ground. When you lower, your arms should bend at a 90-degree angle.  Do 15-20 reps for 3 sets.

3. Planks

This is one of those workouts that a lot of people need help on their form. But once you’ve got it, you’ll feel the difference! To do one, get into push up position, and get on your forearms. Planks are a full body workout and they are awesome for your core! Hold for a minute, rest, and repeat two more times. If you feel that you are strong enough, move from push up form, to plank, then push up form again and repeat for 12 reps, 3 times.

4. Crunches

Crunches are a classic ab workout that can be extremely versatile, as illustrated in this photograph. This is an exercise where a lot of people tend to complain of neck aches, so make sure you watch your form. Try to aim for 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

Make sure if you do these exercises you do not overwork your body! Take at least one day breaks to give your muscles time to recover. Always eat before and after your workouts, you will not get your dream body by starving yourself. And make sure you stretch after any workout, it helps with body aches. This article is proof you do not need a gym subscription to look your best, so get to work!