This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MDC chapter.

Festival season is coming up and for those of us who want to get away from the city, camping at a music festival is the way to go. Whether you’re going to Camp Bisco to dance the night away, or to an EDM or Firefly Fest to see famous artists like SZA and Arctic Monkeys, you’ll want to make sure your style makes a statement and catches some eyes. The reality of camping at a music festival is less glamorous than those Instagram posts make it out to be and without the luxury of showers and a full wardrobe, it’s harder to put together the perfect look. Here are some low maintenance ways to keep your outfit as creative as you want without compromising comfort:

Statement Jewelry

Statement jewelry is a must for camping at a music festival. Not only is it easier to pack than elaborate outfits, but it can add a spark of personality to a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Watch out with overly extravagant jewelry as nothing is worse than getting an earring pulled out while

you’re dancing!

ALDO Multilayer Coin Necklace

$21.00

Bandanas and Hats

Many music festivals have activities day and night to entertain those camping out, so chances are you’ll be in the sun. When you’re standing for hours at a time, the last thing you want is a sunburn. Bandanas and hats are not only great fashion accessories but are beneficial to your skin too. Invest in a good wide brimmed hat or cheeky baseball cap to keep you comfy during those long daylight hours.

Floral Crochet Floppy Hat

$14.90

Forever21.com

Temporary tattoos and glitter

Temporary tattoos and glitter can transform a typical daytime outfit to a festival going fairy. They add zero weight to your luggage and when else is it appropriate to cover yourself in glitter and gems? Search Pinterest for unique makeup looks and temporary tattoo ideas.

Magic & Madness Sparkle Temporary Tattoo Set

$15.00

Urbanoutfitters.com

Trendy Bottoms

From the mud to the heat, camping at a music festival can get sweaty. Instead of opting for delicate and easily stained pieces, go for sturdier materials. Denim and spandex are great for day time dancing, as both stay wrinkle-free in a backpack and keep you from getting too hot. Try shorts with fun detailing like studs, rips, embroidery, and lace trim. Black spandex shorts are another versatile basic that match with pretty much any top and are easily dressed up with jewelry and makeup.

Star gazin’ denim shorts

$38.00

Dollskill.com

Things NOT to bring

Stay away from trend pieces that are hard to wear like:

• Long jackets and dresses can get dragged in the dirt and stepped on in a crowd.
  • Heels are uncomfortable when walking through sand and dirt while open toed shoes will get your toes stepped on.
  • Anything white is a no, unless you’re willing to sacrifice the item because it will get soiled.
  • Bodycon clothing like tight dresses will make you sweat and keep you from moving freely.

One of the worst mistakes you can make while packing for an overnight trip is packing without planning. Don’t bring too many items and make sure the clothing items you do bring are combinable. It’s easy to forget that when you’re at the festival, you’ll be less concerned with spending hours on an outfit, and more willing to throw on something cute and comfy. Above all remember your sunscreen and toothbrush and don’t forget to have an amazing time!

A free spirit who was born and raised in sunny Miami, Fl, Valerie currently studies at Miami-Dade College and is working toward a degree in journalism in hopes of making a difference in the world by unraveling her inner activist through her writing and actions. Everyday making progress little by little.