This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

This is my first semester living off campus, and so far, it is the best one yet. For the first time, I have absolute freedom. There are not any parents hovering over me or Resident Advisers trying to write you up. However, with that freedom brings responsibility, some of which I expected, but some came as a surprise. If you are thinking about getting an apartment off campus, here are some of the things I am learning that will hopefully help prepare you for the move.

1. Rent

Don’t hand it in late. Also, don’t hand it in on a check that you don’t actually have the money for. Most landlords will charge you for a bounced check and, on top of that, landlords will want cash up front in the future if it bounces more than once.

2. Utilities

Some apartments have utilities included in their rent, but mine does not. My housemates and I had to contact all of the utilities that we would need before we moved in (heat, water, electricity, Wi-Fi, etc.) so that we could actually have running water the first day. With this, we have to keep an eye on our mailbox for bills. If one is late, they charge you more.

3. The walk to class

The walk to class is longer now. Well, technically, I had a longer walk to my classes sophomore year. However, most people’s commutes will be longer while living off campus. Take into account how far you are living from your school buildings before your first class.

4. Never being on campus

Now that I don’t live on campus, except for classes, I’m never on school grounds. It’s easy to be closed off from campus life when you’re living on your own, but it can be lonely. Make sure you are seeing your friends and having human interaction every day.

5. Parties

Without an RA breathing down your neck, it is easier to get rowdy. If you are the only one of your friend group who lives off campus, you could easily become the party house. This is fine, but you should be careful. You are not going to be dealing with campus safety if you get caught, it’s going to be the actual police. If you have people under the age consuming alcohol on your property, you can get into serious trouble.

6. Cooking

Over the past year, I have started to cook for myself. Before, I would just eat my parents’ food or the food at the cafeteria. By the end of junior year, I was getting sick of the “food” the cafe offered and started making my own meals. Since I have been already doing this, the transition was not that hard. However, buying groceries can really add up, especially if you try to eat healthy. Why do green beans cost more than chips?

—————-

These are just some of the things I’ve learned since living off campus. It’s not nearly all of them, but probably the most pertinent. If you can hold yourself accountable for this step into adulthood, I completely suggest living off campus. Just consider everything you will be responsible for before you make the leap. 

A sarcastic redhead who is usually late.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.