This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, and that can mean a number of things. You might be spending it alone, with your gals, or with your honey. If you’re like me, you’re in the long distance boat. For some that may mean a Skype date because of certain circumstances that separate you, like not having the money to make the journey to visit them. For the other group of people in this boat with me, it means reuniting with your significant other. This can be a great experience, but it can also be nerve-wracking. So what should you do about it?

Make plans

This is the most crucial step you can take in your steps toward seeing your love. Decide when you’re leaving (or when they’re leaving) to come visit, when they’re leaving to go home, what you’re going to do when you get there, etc. My boyfriend has actually planned out our entire Valentine’s Day, but it’s a surprise for me. Also decide if you’re giving each other presents. Even if it’s a little box of chocolates, it can still mean a lot.

Be with each other

I don’t just mean physically. Get off of your phone, tell your friends that you’re busy for the weekend and you’ll text them when you get home, whatever you have to do. You didn’t make this trip to stay in the social media world; you made these plans to be with your significant other. Give them your undivided attention, and only check social media when it’s absolutely necessary.

Know when enough’s enough

So you reunite with your S.O. but it doesn’t feel right. Maybe you’re on two different pages. Try to update each other and talk about different experiences you’ve had while you’ve been away. Talk about your feelings and try to work them out. If you get back home and it still feels wrong, then maybe it’s time to break it off and take time for yourself. People change, and distance can make some people feel uncomfortable with the changing that is going on. It doesn’t mean that either of you are bad people; it just means you’re growing into who you were meant to be.

I hope these tips help you have an amazing Valentine’s Day when you reunite with your significant other, or maybe they’ll help you realize what you really need from your long distance lover. Either way, you’ll always be making the right decision. Happy Valentine’s Day!

So what happens when you mix gaming, writing, dancing, social media exploring, and constant worrying into a big bowl? You get me, Ericka. I'm an English/Communications major with a concentration in Broadcast Media and a minor in Marketing. I'm from central Vermont, in heart of of the country, but I call MCLA my home.