8 Stress Relievers for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

It starts with the first day of classes. You’re fine, maybe a little nervous. You just settled into your room and met your floor mates. You find your way to class and sit awkwardly next to some girl on her phone. Then comes the syllabus.

BAM! Essays.

BAM! Research project.

BAM! Oral presentations.

Pressure fizzes in your gut and you feel like a shaken soda can. You can barely hear the professor as the class’s first lecture begins. You look at the homework. 30 pages of reading and an essay in two weeks.

How will you survive?

Stress isn’t fun, especially in school. Between classes, clubs and life, it’s never long before you’re ready to crawl under a rock. It doesn’t have to be that way, though. Here are eight things you can do to relieve stress. The trick is to find what works for you!

1) Just Get Things Done

It’s difficult to deal with all the things you have to do — if you keep them all in your head.  Oftentimes the best thing to do when you have a lot to do is to just do it. Schedule a time for you to get work done and deal with the most important items first. Choose assignments each week and make it your goal to finish them in order of priority. This is called the “Rocks, Pebbles, Sand” method, and in my experience it can be pretty effective. Still, this kind of thing can be difficult to maintain if you aren’t used to it, and sometimes you have to know when to push yourself and when to hold back.

2) Go Out With Friends

Nothing makes life better than friends you can pal around with. When you need a break, consider getting together with some. Go out to dinner. See a movie. Even if it’s just a walk around town, as long as you’re away from campus (or at least your room) for a while, it should be enough to clear your head.

3) Take A Shower

Speaking of clearing your head, showers often do the trick. I don’t know what it is about standing under a stream of warm water, the smell of steam and shampoo in the air, but whatever it is, it’s hypnotizing. It’s always been known as one of the most creative and relaxing times for us humans, so if you’re stressed out, maybe all you need is a jump in the tub. Who knows? Maybe it’ll spark some ideas for your projects.

4) Work Out

Exercise is a great way to get out your pent-up frustrations. Not only is it good for you, but the afterglow is packed with endorphins that’ll make you feel a lot better about yourself than when you started. Taking out your stress on a literal punching bag is much better than beating yourself up over schoolwork, and the results aren’t bad, either.

5) Seek Extra Help

Here’s a hint: professors (usually) aren’t as scary as they seem. While they can be jerks, too, most are willing to put in some extra time to help you, provided your issue can be solved in one visit (they’re busy people, you know). Tutoring is always a good option, especially if your class has a teaching assistant. They’re often more accessible than professors are, and will be willing to go over the tough spots with you. If the TA’s hours aren’t convenient for you, I’d contact them and try to set up a separate meeting, or find another tutor in the same subject.

6) Take a Nap

If you know me, you know how much I love to sleep. Naps, if you can take them and make them work, always help to clear the mind. The world just seems brighter after a good night’s sleep.

7) Play Video Games

Just like using a real punching bag, virtual stress relief can be helpful, too. I personally love beating people up in Smite or scoring kills in Paladins: Champions of the Realm. That may not work for you, though. Maybe you play Candy Crush or Call of Duty. Whatever it is, give it your full attention for an hour or two and when you rise from the pixelated void, it’ll be with a rebooted brain.

8) Trim the Fat

Sometimes you have to know when to say no. Whether it’s turning down an invitation to a movie, or skipping out on an event, sometimes we have to let go of the things that get in the way of what really matters. Clubs are huge time-sinks, and as much as I know you’d hate to let one go, sometimes it may be necessary; if not for the sake of your schoolwork, than for your own sanity. In short: if you don’t need it, let it go. Keep only the necessities, the things you’re passionate about most. Trust me, you’ll be happier for it later.

Molly is a senior at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. When she's not pursuing an English degree she's either writing or thinking about writing. Passionate about the craft since she could hold a pencil, Molly gravitates toward prose and poetry. She's got a lot to say about a lot of things, and her need to create carries over to several other platforms. She's a sucker for books, video games, YouTube and nonprofits, and wants to be able to work in them all. Her dream is use her voice to make a living, though it's unknown what she'll attempt first.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.