5 Romantic Movies so Cheesy They’re Laughable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Let me preface this by saying I spent a long time thinking out exactly what to call this list of movies as I didn’t want to insult them but to say how funny some of the ridiculousness of their plots are. All but one of these movies I would watch again happily. But one of the reasons they are my favorites is BECAUSE they are so cheesy they’re funny. Who doesn’t love a movie that has moments that aren’t meant to be funny but are so unrealistic and sappy that you burst out laughing? With that being said, here is the list of top 5 romantic movies so cheesy they’re laughable.

1.       A Cinderella Story

Quite possibly one of my FAVORITE movies of all time, this cutesy film starring teen idol Hilary Duff and heartthrob Chad Michael Murray is already funny because of the actors who are in it and are naturally hilarious. But the real comedic gold in this one is that when Hilary Duff’s character Sam runs down to kiss Chad Michael Murray’s character Austin it all of a sudden starts raining. This wouldn’t even be as funny if she hadn’t said to him “Waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this drought. Useless and disappointing” when telling him off earlier in the locker room scene. What a coincidence (made by special effects).  10/10 cute and hilarious

2.       Crazy, Stupid, Love

Now this movie is obviously funny because of the comedic powerhouses that are already in it (Steve Carrell, Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, and Julianne Moore). But tell me the story line between Stone and Gosling’s characters is believable and I will laugh right in your face. Obviously the focus was on Carrell’s character and his love issues but come on, his daughter ends up with the guy teaching him how to get back in the dating game? What are the chances? It’s a small world but it’s not that small and being that their storyline was not given much context besides their meeting a couple times and sleeping together the whole cheesy fairytale like ending for them seemed hilarious to me, even if maybe that part wasn’t meant to be.

3.       Love Actually

This movie is so cute it makes you want to vom. Isn’t that the goal of any romantic movie? This one is particularly laughable because of the absurdity within it. So this guy just records a whole video of his best friend’s wife and its cute not a bit creepy? Tell me that’s not hilarious. But more importantly, the adorable crush that Daniel’s son Sam has on Joanna is the funniest part because his father actually brings him to the airport to say bye to her. If my little kid self had asked my mom or dad to do that so I could say bye to some boy they would’ve sent me to my room and told me they don’t have time for all of that. It’s so cute that Daniel does this while so incredibly unrealistic that it is the funniest part of the whole movie to me.  

4.       Goodbye First Love

I watched this one during my freshman year when I holed myself up in my room for the winter and did nothing but watch Netflix and sleep. For some reason this movie caught my eye and I sat through the whole thing even though it was in French so I had to read subtitles for the whole two hours of it. But there were plenty of funny parts in it because it is just so overdramatic at times that I couldn’t help but laugh at how confused I was. So I guess this one is funnier if you watch it In French. This is the one you watch if you want to feel cultured but laugh at your confusion.

5.       Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging

This one is such a teen bop type of movie that I couldn’t help but include. It has so many parts that make you go wait what? What teenager’s parents just throw her a club birthday party and gets to date her hot crush who happens to have a band? Also, the awkward parts from it were hilarious. My favorite romantic laughable moment: when Robbie kisses Georgia in the pool. The last place I want my first kiss with a guy to be in is the pool. I love swimming but feel like a wet dog when I come up from the water. Also, I don’t want to kiss your chlorine tinted lips. To this day this is still one of my favorite movies though, the book series it’s based on got me through the first half of high school and I’m very sad it ended.

Hi! I'm Idalis, a junior at MCLA. Currently I write for The Beacon and work for the Multicultural Center here. I also am the president of Crafting Club and part of the Student Government Association. I like to write about a variety of topics but am most passionate about music, crafting, and writing.