What We Love About the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Hear from the Her Campus McGill 2013-2014 team of writers and coordinators as they share their favorite things about the holiday season, whether it’s a classic holiday movie or cooking up a storm.

My favorite thing about the holidays is…

“…seeing holiday decorations and hearing Christmas music everywhere. They just put me in the best mood and remind me of all the good things in life.” – Melody Cao, Advertising Coordinator        

“…snow on the ground and sitting with friends and family around a toasty fire (painfully cheesy, I know).” – Anna Stuber, Writer                                                                              

“…the sound of Bing Crosby’s Christmas CD throughout the house.” – Jocelyn Micallef, Events Coordinator

“…definitely the lights – whether it’s a couple twinkly lights in my room or a full-blown Christmas display downtown, I never feel more excited about the holidays than when I see those bright colors lighting up the city!” – Esther Vinarov, Writer

“…my family and I have this tradition where the youngest of the family give out the gifts under the tree to those they are for. And then in the end we all open them together. For as long as I can remember, on Christmas Eve, my sister and I would distribute the presents to everyone and then see their reactions as they open their gifts.” – Alexandra Faure, Writer

“…secretly wrapping presents with my cousin and then sneaking downstairs on Christmas Eve to put them under the tree.” – Azara Noor Lalla, Writer                                                                        

[pagebreak]

“…the four weeks leading up to [the holidays]. My family sits down and watches a different rendition of A Christmas Carol every Sunday night for the four weekends leading up to Christmas and then we complete the series by watching our favorite version on Christmas night.” – Sarah Amodeo, Writer                                                                                    

“…cozying up by the fire and re-watching Christmas classics.” – Reba Wilson, Co-President & Editor-in-Chief                                                                                    

“…getting together with the entire family, spending quality time, catching up, sharing stories, laughing, eating great food, and watching classic holiday movies.” – Vanessa Mastrangelo, PR Coordinator

“…Christmas and winter decorations, especially lights on trees. Even a simple tree with just a strand of white ‘fairy’ lights brings such cheer into a room that you can’t help but smile (and immediately search for your Love Actually DVD).” – Katherine Rushby, Writer                                                                                   

“…decorating the Christmas tree with my brothers. Our goal was to hang something on every square inch of the tree and ensure there was no green left visible. To say the least, we succeeded and I have no doubt that this year will be any different. I cannot wait to spend the holidays with my family and friends.”   – Ana Zdravkovic, Writer                                                                                    

“…decorating my house with my family to put us in the Christmas mood.” – Stephanie Gervais, Writer                                                                                   

“…that it’s the one time of the year that my entire family is together. My favorite activity is when we play Christmas music and we all participate in decorating the house and our Christmas tree.” – Yi-Yi Huang, Events Coordinator                                                                                    

[pagebreak]

“…logging onto Neopets every day for the advent calendar gifts and eating several candy canes at once. Uh, I mean, studying and being a mature adult.” – Victoria Tran, Writer

“…baking upwards of 200 Christmas cookies while listening to my Christmas playlist on replay.” – Katrina Kairys, Co-President & Editor-in-Chief

“…that it is totally fine to eat as much chocolate as you want and be as lazy as you want because it’s Christmas.” – Chloë Thimonier, Writer                 

“…being surrounded by all the people you love and all the people who love you right back. It makes you realize how lucky you are to have family and friends, and it makes you feel so grateful for everything you have. As much as presents under the Christmas tree or shopping on Boxing Day can bring us joy, it’s nothing in comparison to the joy having good company brings.” – Adrienne Suen, Events Coordinator & Style Blogger

“… going home and having all of my favorite Haitian dishes over the course of two weeks. So much better than the Lean Cuisines I make for myself here.” – Elisha-Kim Desmangles, Writer

“…Home Alone is always playing on some channel on television. My family and I would play it interchangeably with holiday music in the background while we decorate the tree in our pj’s.” – Marianne Liu, Writer

“…spending time with family and friends.” – Nicole Kim, PR Coordintaor                                                                                    

“…making (and ‘Instagramming’) gingerbread houses. There’s something doubly satisfying about a food that’s delicious and photogenic at the same time.” – Hatty Liu, Managing Editor                   

“…watching The Sound of Music while drinking a cup of hot chocolate (from my Christmas mug, of course).” – Kim Laurence, Writer

Photos retrieved from:                                                                                 

http://ilovegreeninspiration.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/christmas-lights-photography-winter-lights-favim-com-283694_large.jpg

http://static.squarespace.com/static/5026eb6084ae0b3f1f937b6f/t/50f50191e4b02681d3534a04/1358234072902/Hanukkah-Dinner-1.jpg

http://img4-2.myrecipes.timein…

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co…

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-i…

http://www.careypurcell.com/wp…

Katrina served as the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus McGill from 2013-2015.  With a love of writing, fashion, and fitness, she spent a lot of her time exploring Montréal to find great things around campus and in the city to share with the Her Campus readers. Twitter @KatrinaKairys.Awarded 1st place for "On Campus Publicity" for My Campus Chapter Awards 2014Awarded Her Campus "Gold Chapter Level" 2013Awarded Her Campus "Platinum Chapter Level" 2014