stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Treat 2017 Right and Lead a Healthy, Happy Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Let’s be honest, we’ve all done it. We’ve all made resolutions we never keep. I’m not just talking about New Year’s resolutions, but also day-to-day pledges that we would like to stick to: I’m going to go to bed before 1am every night; I’m going to do all of my assignments prior to the night before they’re due in; I’m going to start eating healthy… 

It’s not always easy to live an ideal lifestyle. We are always being told we must have at least 8 of hours sleep a night, exercise for at least 30 minutes a day and eat 5 portions of fruit and veg etc. And whilst these aspects are of course ever more important, I personally feel as though we punish ourselves if we don’t fulfill them and this consequently leaves us with a feeling of being demotivated and unproductive.

So I’m sharing with you today some tips that I live in accordance to: they’re pretty simple, don’t require a new gym kit or expensive equipment, you can just incorporate them into your daily life – and voila! A happier and healthier you. *Disclaimer: I am not a health or lifestyle expert (surprise!) I just find these little tips really work for me!*

5. Reduce your caffeine intake…

“OMG no, that’s impossible,” I hear you say? It’s not as scary as it sounds, trust me! If I want to get to sleep at a reasonable time in the evening, I struggle to do so if I have had a caffeinated drink in the latter part of the afternoon. There’s no doubt that I rely on my morning coffee to get me to class on time; but I have learnt to count on the one coffee to get me through the day. It’s surprising how quickly you adapt to it.

Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you have to avoid hot drinks altogether, just opt for decaffeinated options instead to prepare yourself for a good night’s sleep!

4. Eat an iron-rich diet

There are SO many types of diets that are followed nowadays, (veggie, vegan, gluten-free etc.) that it is sometimes hard to make sure we are eating the right things – especially when we remove certain food groups from our diet.

Generally speaking, we don’t get enough iron in our day to day diet. Iron deficiency is responsible for weakness and constant fatigue and this is one thing that I have personally suffered from in the past. I now ensure that my diet is filled with iron: red meats aren’t the only good source of iron, so for people, like myself, who tend to not eat too much meat, there are alternatives such as spinach, kale, pulses, tofu and mussels (some of my faves) that are also rich in iron!

Top tip: cover your iron-rich foods with citric acid (e.g lemon, lime and oranges) to ensure that the iron is absorbed into your bloodstream!

3. Stay hydrated

For those of you who know me, you will vouch that this is a saying that I swear by (you will never find me without a bottle of water in my bag!)

It is so important that we consume enough fluids (a recommended 2 litres or 8 glasses of water) each day. You’ll not only feel more alert, but it will make a difference to your skin and hair too. Give it a go… Hydration is key!

Looking for a new bottle?…

We all know a S’well bottle when we see one; they’re pretty sexy and are without doubt a great option if you’re looking for a reusable bottle. However, the price isn’t always quite as attractive! A more affordable brand is Aladdin: these bottles are BPA free (so none of that yucky chemical stuff) and are super durable – a great alternative and also pretty cute.

2. Get up and move!

It is so important to make sure we take the time to exercise, not just to keep fit but also for our general well being… It is believed that exercising three times a week can cut your chances of getting depression by 16%. By energizing our bodies, we are able to relax our minds!

I really enjoy doing pilates and yoga as it is a great combination of relaxation and strengthening. What’s more, this is something you can do in your own time, in the comfort of your own home – and even better, it can be free! I find that Jessica Valant has an excellent range of videos on her YouTube channel if you need some guidance, which cater to a range of abilities. Check out her channel here.

So, get up after reading this and do some jumping jacks, go for a walk or even sign up for an exercise class. The initial motivation is hard, I know, but the feeling of accomplishment is totally worth it!

1. Look after your mind as well as your body: take time out to think

Mindfulness is becoming an increasingly talked about topic. But what actually is it? It really does vary from person to person, but at the end of the day, the core concept is the same: we must take time to stop; be aware of our surroundings and accept our thoughts and feelings.

Something I, personally, really struggle with is preventing myself from worrying about future prospects, whether that be later that evening or something next week. I’m challenging myself to step away from that mind-set and instead be fully present in the moment. You can do it too!

I have discovered a great app called Headspace, which I would definitely encourage EVERYone to utilize! It is your “own personal brain trainer” (but don’t get confused with Brain Training like we used to have on our Nintendo DS!) This programme encourages you to take 10 minutes a day to find some calm and clarity in your day. You can do it anytime, anyplace anywhere. Sign up for 10 free days of Headspace here.

And it goes without saying, in order to live a healthy and happy life you must make sure you spend enough quality time with your loved ones!

Let’s do this, 2017!! Healthy, happy living.

Information obtained from:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/spotlight-high-iron

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjP1qqdUt2rRUM3r_4-4MMg

https://www.headspace.com

Images obtained from:

http://bodyandmind.amsterdam/en/app-headspace/

http://www.whitecabana.com/index.php/2016/01/13/marketplace-im-curious-about-swell-water-bottles/

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/295478425522146314/

Connie is a Linguistics Undergrad and languages-lover from London. You'll find her at her happiest when drinking good coffee, travelling Latin America and appreciating good food.