freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top 10 Kelly Clarkson Breakup Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Before Taylor Swift, Kelly Clarkson was the reigning queen of breakup songs. Her 10+ years in the music industry have produced countless songs perfect for every stage of a breakup. Check out this comprehensive list of the 10 Kelly Clarkson songs you need in your life immediately post-breakup!

1.      Because of You– Listen to this when the breakup is fresh and you’re feeling every emotion possible. You can’t imagine a future without your significant other. How can life be so unfair? Go ahead, grab a bowl of ice cream, snuggle under your blanket and put this heart wrenching song on repeat. Stand-out lyrics: “Because of you I never stray too far from the sidewalk, because of you I learned to play on the safe side so I don’t get hurt.”

2.      Behind These Hazel Eyes– You had no idea one person could make you feel so horrible inside. Kelly questions how a relationship could go from being so perfect to so not-so-perfect. This song sums up every pathetic thing you want to say to your ex, but will never give them the satisfaction of hearing. Dance around your room and just let it all out. Stand-out lyrics: “Broken up, deep inside, but you won’t get to see the tears I cry.”

3.      I Hate Myself For Losing You– No matter how horrible your ex may have been to you, there is always a stage in the breakup where you question everything you could have done differently. Kelly is able to capture this feeling perfectly. Stand-out lyrics: “How do you cry when every tear you shed won’t ever bring him back again?”

4.      Cry– Just when you think you can cry no longer, the waterworks start up again. It feels like these uncontrollable emotions are never going to stop turning you inside and out. Kelly has a whole song devoted to the pain of crying. Stand-out lyrics: “Is this as hard as it gets? Is this what it feels like to really cry?”

5.      Never Again– So you’re starting to feel a bit better, and see that your ex wasn’t actually all that great. You resolve that you are never going to go through a breakup like this again. This song will be your motivation. Stand-out lyrics: “never again will I hear you, never again will I miss you, never again will I fall to you, never.”

6.      Since You’ve Been Gone– This is the perfect song for when you know you’re better off single. You are finally free to be you without the baggage of a significant other. You are ready to get out there and enjoy the world again. Stand-out lyrics: “since you’ve been gone, I can breathe for the first time, I’m so moving on.”

7.      Miss Independent– No only are you back, but you are better than ever. You realize that you don’t need someone to complete you. You can hold your own doors open, thank you very much. This old-school Kelly Clarkson hit should be every girl’s life anthem. Stand-out lyrics: “miss on-her-own, miss almost-grown, miss never-let-a-man-help-her-off-her-throne.”

8.      Already Gone– You have accepted the fact that it is officially over. While you’re still sad at times that he or she wasn’t your happy ending, you know you’ll both be okay in the end. You are feeling surprisingly wise and mature about the situation, like you could write an advice article on how to deal with breakups. Stand-out lyrics: “Remember all the things we wanted, now all our memories they’re haunted, we were always meant to say goodbye.”

9.      Don’t Waste Your Time– Okay, so now some things are getting annoying. You have accepted that you two are broken-up for good, so why can’t everyone else? Whether your ex keeps calling or your friends keep reminding you about the “good times”, you’ll just want to post the lyrics to this Kelly song on their Facebook wall and call it a night. Stand-out lyrics: “Do you think I honestly want to be reminded forever?”

10.   What Doesn’t Kill You (Stronger)- You’re now able to reflect on this experience and appreciate the good, the bad, and even the ugly. Kelly summarizes it perfectly, that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. With every breakup you learn more about love, life and yourself. You can value all the life experiences you have, even if they took you a couple pints of ice cream to get through. Standout lyrics: “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, stand a little taller, doesn’t mean I’m lonely when I’m alone.”

Get your playlist ready, because you’re going to be listening to these songs on repeat! 

Images obtained from; 

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35200000/Kelly-Clarkson-kelly-cla…

http://www.hdwallpaperscool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/stunning-amer…

Alexandra is in her fourth and final year at McGill University, studying Joint Honors Political Science and Philosophy with a minor in Sexual Diversity Studies. She is a self-described coffee addict and Netflix junkie. Alexandra is passionate about sassy comebacks, collecting mason jars, and her hair straighenter. In her spare time she enjoys binge watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and shopping as a sport. Follow her sarcastic pursuits on Twitter @AlmostAlexandra and her obsession with filters on Instagram @alexandrasakellariou.