Tica Beads’ Emma Davitt: On How She Manages a Balance Between School and Her Own Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Chokers are still one of the most prominent trends in fashion, and McGill student Emma Davitt has brought them closer to home, enabling McGill students to share their love for chokers, whilst supporting a creative, home-grown business. Hailing from Shelburne, Vermont, Emma is in her third year at McGill; majoring in Pharmacology and minoring in Psychology. Despite such a heavy work load, Emma single-handedly started Tica Beads whilst also juggling school work, and volunteering with the student-run medical service, MSERT. She talks to Her Campus about a healthy work-life balance, what inspires her creations and how you can pursue your own creative pursuits, all whilst still maintaing your academics. 

Kate Brinksman for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Tica is an unique name, where did the idea originate?

Emma Davitt (ED): “Tica” is Costa Rican slang for a native Costa Rican woman. Around the time that I was thinking about publicly selling my jewelry, my brother had been living in Costa Rica for the past 6 months. In May 2014, my family and I went to visit him for two weeks and it was the most amazing trip. My brother would refer to the villagers as “ticos” and “ticas” and it got me thinking.  When I arrived back home (in the US), the trip to Costa Rica was still fresh in my mind and Tica Beads had a great ring to it! Plus, it reminds me of an awesome vacation so it was a win-win.

HC McGill: You study science, but delved into making jewelry, what brought about the creative pursuit? 

ED: When I was about eight years old, a beading shop opened up in my town in Vermont. My mom would take my sister and I to the shop to make necklaces and bracelets for us, and as gifts for other people. The woman who owned the shop had found beading to be very therapeutic while she battled breast cancer. She is an amazing woman and I loved spending time with her. In high school, I began working for the shop and she taught me almost everything I know about jewelry making.  I’ve always wanted to work in the medical field, but beading was my go-to when I needed to relax or something to do on a rainy day. In first year, I didn’t bring my supplies to school because I didn’t think I would have time. I started Tica Beads in between first and second year so now I bring all of my materials back and forth between home and McGill! 

HC McGill: How do you manage all your ventures at once? You’re in MSERT, running Tica and studying at McGill… that’s intense!

ED: It’s definitely a challenge. MSERT is a very large time commitment and the labs for science students can be pretty long. Summers are usually my most productive time periods and I’m typically able to make enough jewelry to last until December.  This semester, I am taking a lighter course load so I have more time for Tica Beads! I’m currently working with people to design a new logo and start a website… so far, the hardest part of managing everything has been prioritizing school over Tica.

HC McGill: Each product is so intricate and unqiue, where do you draw your inspiration from?

ED: I get a lot of my inspiration from Pinterest and Instagram. Something that’s very important to me is to keep my jewelry affordable. I have pretty expensive taste… so when I see a necklace that’s around $300, it’s a fun challenge to see if I can make something similar, but at a much lower cost. Lately, I’ve been obsessed with gold chains and chokers; my friends and family know this, so when they see something that reminds them of Tica Beads, they will send me pictures that help to stimulate ideas!

HC McGill: Do you think you’ll extend your business to other products, such as clothing, or do you prefer to focus on making your niche the best it can be?

ED: I can’t imagine myself extending my business to anything beyond jewelry. Although growing Tica Beads is a dream of mine, being a healthcare provider is truly my ultimate goal. I enjoy making necklaces and bracelets, and if Tica were to really expand, I could be interested in earrings or rings… but for now, making necklaces and bracelets, whilst still doing well in school, is my priority.

HC McGill: Society seems less preoccupied with individuals choosing one pathway nowadays, and more on people pursuing multiple avenues. Do you think this form of merging is the way forward, with individuals now able to pursue all their interests; instead of having to choose between their options?

ED:  I think a really important aspect of life is balance. When I was growing up, I thought becoming a doctor meant spending every minute of your life studying, writing the MCAT, and then going straight to medical school from university. It’s nice to know now that a lot more students are taking time to go on adventures, start jobs, research or pursue other things before going to graduate school. It’s nice to see that society respects the needs of people to have multiple facets in their lives… I think it takes the pressure off people. Ultimately, I think pursuing multiple avenues can be really beneficial to people and allow individuals to become more well-rounded.

HC McGill: Finally, what one piece of advice to you have for those looking to start their own business?

ED:  I wouldn’t call myself an expert – by any means – in starting a business; however, what I have encountered is that social media is really powerful. It’s safe to say that Tica Beads wouldn’t be where it is today without Instagram and selfies of my gorgeous customers in their Tica necklaces!

Tica Beads is a great way to support a local business and a fellow student, as well as looking great for an equally great price! Go check out, follow and fall in love with Tica Beads on Instagram now! 

Tica Beads can be purchased here.

Photos provided by interviewee.