Things I’ve Learned During First Semester at McGill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

When I graduated high school this past spring and began to prepare for the transition to McGill, it seemed as though everyone I knew had an opinion on what I was about to experience. On the whole, most were right about the change being fun and exciting, but also difficult at times. I am struggling with cravings for American food and my bed, but my time at McGill has already been amazing.

However, as a first year, I think I’m plagued with the typical worries that accompany a young woman moving to a new city and starting a new life without family or friends – and on top of that, studying at one of the top Universities in the world. Balancing schoolwork, social activities, and my health is honestly a struggle.

So far, my classes have been great, and I know I’m lucky to say that. I’ve already changed my major to History, and my parents think that I will probably be calling them in the near future to inform them of yet another change. Like most college students, I’m working on keeping my Netflix binges, specifically The Office, to a minimum. But Jim and Pam just make me happy, especially compared to the pile of International Development readings that never seems to shrink no matter how much I complete.

To keep stress levels down, I have started a weekly tradition of holding Wine Wednesdays in my room, a gathering that has grown steadily each week. It’s intimidating coming to school with no friends, but I’ve met some great people here, especially during Frosh, and Wine Wednesday has been a good platform for my friends and acquaintances to continue to meet new people as newbies tag along each passing week. 

Wine Wednesdays also make me feel not guilty for not going out too much on school nights. It seems that people party every night of the week at Molson, whereas at my high school Fridays and Saturdays were the only nights people went out. It’s weird when I’m brushing my teeth on a Thursday at 11 and girls in club dresses are taking pictures in the hall, and it’s hard to not feel lame even though I rationalize not going out with the fact that I have an 8:30 class the next morning.

While I haven’t been partying as much as many of my classmates, I have slept through a couple Econ classes, and my 8:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays has me running around campus with no makeup and crazy hair. If you see a girl with a blonde afro or a lion’s mane, chances are it’s me. I am nowhere near put together, but I’m embracing it.

On a more trivial worry, the fear of freshman fifteen is all too real. Poutine is not my friend, however it becomes deceivingly tempting when wandering on St. Laurent late on the weekends. On that note neither is 2 Chow, but hell, I’m going to eat it anyways. I’m trying to rationalize this with the fact that the gym is so close to Upper Rez that I’ll make it there somewhat frequently…maybe.

I think the one piece of unsolicited advice I have heard most frequently has proven to be very true: balance in all things is the key to university. Achieving balance is easier said then done though, especially when poutine is concerned. Drunk food is my vice, so it’s a good thing I’m in this city. I love you, Montreal, and I’m so glad to be here for the next three years.

Images obtained from:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204480227788342&set=oa.8456289…

http://aoc.mcgill.ca/network/montreal-alumni-groups

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.