element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Study Break: Visit the Montreal Christmas Market!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Just outside of the gloomy McGill bubble, where finals have everyone down and stressed, there’s a magical little wonderland waiting to cheer you up! Canadian Tire, in collaboration with Telus, presents the Christmas Market of Montreal in Place Des Arts!

So if you’re feeling a lack of holiday spirit, take an hour or two, grab a few friends (and an insta-husband for the photo ops), and head down to Place Des Arts (or specifically 175 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest for you to type into Google maps for directions)!

There’s no entrance fee, but I’d make sure to bring along my wallet as you can be sure to knock a few people off your Christmas shopping list here! The entire street is lined with the cutest artisan booths, from fancy chocolates and nougats, to homemade knits and jewellery, and tons of delicious food trucks (there’s cotton candy and beaver tails!)

In the Telus Zone, you can buy a stuffed toy for $8, or charge your phone (once you’ve drained it from all the snapchat usage) for $3 and proceeds will go towards the Youth Center of Montreal.

Speaking of snapchat usage, you’ll definitely run up your data once you hit the Family Place set up by Milk. There are cute reindeers and scary polar bears all over the place, and you’ll be pleased to discover that Santa Claus conveniently left his sleigh right in the center of the square.

Other activities at this market include karaoke in the middle of the Family Place, visiting the elves’ workshop, and warming your hands by the wooden fireplaces. It’s quite a spectacular sight in general with big Chrismas trees and lights hung up everywhere. Don’t forget to watch out for the mini train running throughout the market! We might be a little old to ride it, but being old has its perks…did I mention there are several wine booths?

The market runs from December 2nd to December 24th, check here for specifics!

Images obtained from marchenoelmontreal.ca and from writer.

Angel Yu

McGill '20

Angel is a fourth year at McGill University, doing a double major in physiology and computer science. Besides being a part of Her Campus, she is also a varsity athlete. She has a love for big city skylines and tiny little animals and can always be found putting her best effort into everything she does, along with a chai latte in hand.