The Nightlife Review: St. Laurent’s Candi Bar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Montreal is full of unique shops and hidden treasures. If you’re new to this wonderful city, I would like to introduce you to a one-of-a-kind bar that I stumbled upon. The Candi Bar brings you back to childhood with a fun, candy-themed atmosphere.

First, as you walk in, it is hard to miss the bar constructed out of Mega Bloks. As you take a seat at the whimsical barstool, you instantaneously gain a fabulous pair of legs, heels included. Next, take your pick of what to sip on for the night from a lollipop-shaped menu. I went with the Bazooka Joe: an irresistable mix of Raspberry Smirnoff, banana liquor, a mix of bubble-gum and raspberry slush, and candy powder in a stick. Other choices ranged from Tiffany & Co. (raspberry Smirnoff, blue curaçao and raspberry slush) to Bugs Bunny (amaretto, orange slush and Southern Comfort). If slushy cocktails aren’t your thing, a separate menu lists all your classic drinks and beers.

The venue, though small, is well-decorated: there are black-and-white cartoon depictions on the walls and bubble-gum machines on the tables. The washrooms are out of this world; someone took the idea of girls going to the washroom together way too seriously: One of the bathroom stalls in the ladies’ room is comprised of two toilets facing each other for that nice dose of girl-gossip as you tinkle. The men’s bathroom, on the other hand, resembles a carnival, clown-mouth urinals and all.

As the night carries on, the DJ spins his beats, filling the lounge with the latest hits. In this lively, fun-filled atmosphere it was hard to stay still in my seat. For the adventurous ones, you can attempt to dance, though there isn’t much room. I contented myself with groovy head-bobbing and fantastic shoulder shaking while remaining on my barstool.

I must note that this wonderful bonbon paradise is ironically restricted to an older crowd, aged 21 and up. But not to worry if you are not yet of age: this quaint little place will be here for a while. By the looks of it, it won’t be going anywhere, anytime soon. 

Images obtained from: http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/67/51/72_big.jpg, 

http://entertainmentqc.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/3e2b177a485d926fadd21…