My Top 5: Things I Will Miss About Montreal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Welcome to My Top 5, a blog series where I share my top choices for recipes, makeup products and things to do around Montreal. 

As I wrap up my final semester in Montreal, I have been reflecting on all of the things that have made my four years here so special. Instead of my usual Top 5, I have decided to do my Top 10 things I will miss about Montreal, even though there are still so many more than what are on this list. Montreal will always have a place in my heart, and I will surely miss everything about living here, good and bad. 

1. McGill University

This one seems obvious, as it is the reason I came to Montreal in the first place. It will always be at the heart of my time here, and I am thankful for the opportunities I had because of McGill.

2. Endless poutine

There is never a wrong time for poutine, and thankfully Montreal has several places to cater to your poutine needs at all hours of the day. Breakfast poutine? Check. Late night poutine? Check. They even have a whole week dedicated to the dish, it’s that important.

3. Nightlife

Although I was never too big on Montreal’s clubbing scene, they do have some amazing bars with unique concepts and tasty cocktails. It is hard to find the likes of La Distillerie, SuWu, and Deville Dinerbar elsewhere in the world.

4. Brunch

I have had some of the most exceptional brunches of my life in Montreal. The lines out the door at places like Foiegwa, L’avenue and Beauty’s every weekend are a testament to how committed this city is to brunching.

5. The neighborhoods

From Little Burgundy to Mile End, there are so many unique areas in Montreal, it sometimes feels like you are in a different city going from one place to the next.

6. Mont Royal

Even though climbing up Mont Royal is never not a pain in the neck, the views are always worth it. Seeing the mountain will always remind me of being home.

7. Winter

Don’t get me wrong, winter is kind of the worst. That said, no city embraces winter quite like Montreal. From Igloofest to skating at the Old Port, the cold is welcomed, and nothing stops for a little bit (okay, a lot) of snow.

8. Bagels

Even though I am a true believer in New York having the superior bagels (don’t @ me), I do occasionally find myself craving a bagel from St. Viateur. Yes, I totally bought into the rivalry as well.

9. Hockey

Although I didn’t get to many games during my time here, the few that I went to proved how passionate Canadiens fans are about their team. It is something every hockey fan should experience at least once in their lives (even though Bell Centre beer is super expensive).

10. French

Although I never successfully learned French in my four years here, there is something about seeing everything in French and English that is distinctly Montreal to me, and will feel weird not seeing when I am back in the U.S.

Bonjour/Hi is now Au Revoir/Bye, Montreal. 

All images provided by Prairie Broughton 

4th year student at McGill who loves food, dogs and lipstick