Montreal’s StyleBar: Glitz, Glam, and Gorgeous Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Where do both fifty-something venture capitalists and young job-less students go to get pampered? No place other than StyleBar, a salon and blow-dry bar on Drummond Street in the heart of downtown Montreal. I had the privilege of getting the StyleBar experience on a Saturday evening, hoping to trade my practical ponytail for a Hollywood-worthy style with body and oomph.  

As I walked up to the salon, I could see the sleek white interior and sparkling chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. Upon entering, I was greeted by co-owner of StyleBar, Nauz Dibai, who welcomed me with a friendly smile. She introduced me to my stylist Josh Duguay. Josh was chatty, bubbly, and upbeat, the complete opposite of the all-too-common snooty hair stylist. He told me he had been working at StyleBar for over a year, so I knew I was in good hands.

After I asked if I was the first student to visit that day, Josh replied, “Oh not at all! We have all types of clients. We have tourists who come for walk-in appointments, young twenty-somethings who will come before a night out, and regulars who come weekly to get their hair done for work events and meetings.” 

Josh took me to the washing sinks for the most relaxing part of the appointment: the wash and scalp massage. I sat in a chair and the bottom half popped up like a chaise lounge, making me feel like I was at the spa. I seriously questioned skipping the style altogether and opting for an hour-long head massage. Josh asked me whether I wanted a toner for my highlights and used a shampoo that would heal my dry locks. He explained how StyleBar uses hair-care brands that the stylists know and love. Both L’Oreal and Pureology aim to keep chemicals to a minimum while infusing your strands with moisture and shine. Stylists cater to those with all types of hair, from limp, brittle hair to hard-to-manage curls.

After the wash, Josh walked me to the chair at the front of the salon, and offered me a tea or coffee.  A cappuccino and a new ‘do? I was truly feeling spoiled. I immediately noticed that none of the chairs were directly in front of a mirror. Instead, they wrapped around a bar-height counter in the centre of the salon.

“Ahh… Style-Bar,” I said out loud. Nauz laughed and said that it was all part of the theme.

“While chatting over the counter to the stylists and other clients, you really feel like you’re hanging at the bar with your girlfriends,” she said. While Josh was working his magic, I had some time to chat with Nauz. Having worked as a clothing designer for years, yet never in the beauty industry, Nauz came up with the idea of StyleBar after visiting her sister in Los Angeles. Over the past few years blow-dry bars have been popping up everywhere in large cities across North America because clients want a spot where they can get a quick hair touch-up in less than an hour.  Nauz wanted to bring that service back home to Montreal, aiming to serve young clients by providing budget-friendly blowouts (only $35 for a complete wash and style), as well as older clientele travelling on business who need to book a day-of appointment.

Nauz also explained that having the chairs apart from the mirrors has the added benefit of taking the worry out the process. Instead of staring at yourself in the mirror, twiddling your thumbs and trying not to order the stylist around, you can relax and wait to be turned around for the big reveal.

“Our stylists are great and it’s important to trust that the stylists know what they’re doing,” Nauz explained. I must admit, I was a bit fidgety not having a mirror in front of me, but then I sat back and relaxed, and had a great conversation with Josh. He explained that the best part of his job was being able to chat with so many fascinating people and being able to connect clients to one other.

“One of my clients told me that her daughter was struggling while studying law and was looking for some guidance. I just so happen to have a regular client who is counsel for a business in Montreal, and I put the two of them into contact.” Who knew that you could leave a salon with fabulous hair AND a high-profile networking connection?  

Josh slipped an iPad into my hands where I could read the latest issues of InStyle and browse “Le Menu” of hairstyles. I flipped through to find some “hair-spiration.” To fit the theme, the menu of blowouts features styles that are named after drinks. You can totally opt for the guilt-free “Martini” before happy hour. You’ll leave with a straight style with a little bit of body. I went for a cross between the “Margarita” and the “Sangria” in hopes for lots of volume and beach-y curls.

I noticed how laid-back and fun-loving the atmosphere was. A far cry from the snobbish salons where the stylists just go through the motions and can’t be bothered to remember your name.

“I always try to remember the clients’ names, as it helps to create that personal connection,” Nauz said. “We want the clients to feel welcomed and at home.” It’s obvious that Nauz and her staff want everybody to not only leave looking great, but feeling great too. I never realized that getting your hair done could be such a fun, social event. It sure beats sitting alone in your bathroom on the edge of the tub, struggling to hold up your curling iron to avoid a burn. 

Before Josh flipped me around to the mirror, he told me to lie back in the chair so he could do his “curl trick.” You’ll have to come visit Josh to find out his secret, but whatever he did left my bouncy curls looking Victoria’s-Secret-model-perfect for the whole night.

Before and after: Blah to fabulous.

With its incredibly friendly staff and down-to-earth atmosphere, StyleBar is the type of place that you’ll return to for years. While you may not have your hair stylist on speed-dial like Mrs. Victoria Beckham does, going to StyleBar is not a far cry away from that. If you have that spending money for little luxuries, it will be the best $35 you spend in a while. You can hold me to it.

Photos by Sahar Balvardi.

Katrina served as the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus McGill from 2013-2015.  With a love of writing, fashion, and fitness, she spent a lot of her time exploring Montréal to find great things around campus and in the city to share with the Her Campus readers. Twitter @KatrinaKairys.Awarded 1st place for "On Campus Publicity" for My Campus Chapter Awards 2014Awarded Her Campus "Gold Chapter Level" 2013Awarded Her Campus "Platinum Chapter Level" 2014