McGill’s TNC Theatre Presents: Monster

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Monster is a one-person script originally written by Canadian playrights Daniel MacIvor and Daniel Brooks. The play conjures various characters of all different ages, sexualities and walks of life: a future mother, a teenage boy, and an aspiring movie director are few of many. Each character explores an alternate side of the human psyche and all of its faults, while simultaneously asking the audience to question what is fake and what is real. The original play was written for only one actor and a microphone, but co-directors Dilan Nebioglu and Laura Orozco of McGill’s Tuesday Night Café Theatre saw it a little differently. Dilan and Laura met in their first year at McGill, living in residence.

The co-directors set the stage with four chairs, placed in a misshapen semi-circle. To stage right there is a table covered in empty bottles of all sorts of spirits, wine and beer. To stage left, a rocking chair and a lamp. At the very back of the set, there is a screen. The play begins with darkness, to resemble a movie theatre, and then the lights let up to reveal one girl (Laura Orozco) playing a boy named Adam.

With only six weeks of rehearsal, the TNC team created a dark but enlightening theatrical experience that is insightful, terrifying and endlessly sarcastic. Orozco, co-director and (the only) actor is an absolute firecracker, not only becoming but seamlessly moving in and out of the lives of the people written about in the script.

Both directors were very excited that the play had made such a big impact on the first round of viewers. When asked why they chose this script, Orozco explained that she is a student of sociology, and mental health interests her to no end. “There is a special focus [in the play] on parent relationships, and the large impact parents have on the creation of someone,” explained Laura, who studies mental health issues much like the ones explored in the play. Further, Orozco was attracted to the script because it was, “dry, funny, sad and disturbing.” After seeing the play, you will quickly come to understand that these four words sum up the performance perfectly. You will also come to understand that these four words seem almost necessary to properly get an informational point across when discussing mental health.

Orozco found Joe the most difficult character to play; probably because he is a middle-aged man who is addicted to just about every substance there is. Joe tells his own story at a meeting for those with addiction, where he explains the wild story of his almost-fame. Personally, my favorite part of the play is when the audience is experiencing a high through Joe’s lens. Further, Janine – an almost-expecting mother who is a feminine, persistent and seemingly exhausting personality, was Orozco’s favorite character to play.

Dilan Neibioglu and Laura Orozco did a spectacular job molding this script into one McGill should be proud to be associated with. I would highly recommend seeing and experiencing this emotional and intellectual roller coaster. 

Event Date & Time: October 15-18, 22-25; box office opens at 7:00pm, show starts at 8:00pm.

Location:  Morrice Hall

Cost: $6 for students/seniors, $10 for adults; email tnc.foh@gmail.com to reserve tickets

Aspiring writer