free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

McGill’s 2nd Annual Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

This week I had the pleasure of speaking with Christopher Smith and Eve Woolley regarding McGill’s Relay for Life event. These two co-presidents are extremely passionate about Relay for Life and are organizing McGill’s 2nd annual event. Keep reading to learn more about the Relay, the club, and how you can get involved!

Ana Zdravkovic for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Tell me a little bit about yourselves. 

Christopher Smith (CS): I’m in my last year here at McGill completing a Joint Major in Computer Science and Biology. I’m originally from Ottawa, and this is my third Relay! I’m co-president of McGill’s 2nd annual Relay for Life with Eve.

Eve Woolley (EW): I’m also in last year here at McGill, majoring in Anthropology! I grew up in Kingston, Ontario and this is my fourth Relay.

HC McGill: Can you tell us what the Relay for Life event is all about?

CS and EW: The purpose of Relay for Life is to raise awareness for cancer research, prevention and patient care. As Relay for Life chapters, we work to raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society. In addition to fundraising and raising awareness, we remember those who have lost the fight with cancer and celebrate our friends and family that are still with us.

HC McGill: When does the Relay for Life take place?

CS and EW: McGill’s 2nd annual Relay for Life will take place on Saturday, November 15th at 9:00PM in the Tomlinson Fieldhouse, running twelve hours overnight until Sunday morning at 9:00AM.

HC McGill: Why do so many people participate in the Relay for Life?

CS and EW: Relay for Life is a time of remembrance, hope and celebration, bringing together individuals who have been affected by cancer in one way or another. It is an incredible opportunity for the McGill community to engage in the fight against cancer. While Relay for Life is an established event across the country, this is only our second Relay here at McGill. Our first, held last October, was an overwhelming success, and we are working hard to turn Relay for Life into something that everyone at McGill University is excited to take part in.

HC McGill: What was your main reason to get involved with such a great club at McGill?

CS and EW: As co-presidents of the McGill chapter, both of us have spent a lot of time around Relay for Life in the past, so when we were given the opportunity to be part of bringing Relay to McGill we couldn’t resist! Helping to organize a Relay is a fantastic experience, and a lot of fun!

HC McGill: How can we get involved?

CS and EW: Start off by visiting our Facebook page, where you will find all the basic information regarding McGill University’s 2nd annual Relay for Life.  Ask any questions and our committee will be happy to answer them! The best way to get involved in Relay for Life is to sigh up and join (or start) a team! We can’t wait to see you at the event!

HC McGill: Who can we walk for?

CS and EW: You can walk for anyone you want! We see people walking for loved ones who have passed away, people walking for their friends and family who won the fight against cancer, and people who are walking just for the fun of it! Everyone has a reason to Relay, what’s yours?

HC McGill: Why does the Relay for Life take place over night?

CS and EW: A Relay is meant to represent a cancer patient’s journey. Dusk is the darkness that settles after the initial diagnosis. The long hours of the night relate to the struggle through treatment, and the dawn symbolizes hope.

HC McGill: What is your fundraising goal for this year and how can we make donations?

CS and EW: Our fundraising goal is $30,000! The best way to donate is to join a team and fundraise individually! You can also donate $5 to receive a Luminary, which is a great way of supporting the Relay even if you are unable to come out to the event. The Luminaries are tokens for remembering who you Relay for, and are an integral part of every Relay. You can also visit the McGill University chapter page through the Canadian Cancer Society and donate directly to a team that is already fundraising. 

HC McGill wanted to thank Eve and Christopher once again for taking the time to answer a few of our questions. We hope that each and every one of you does their best to get invovled with such a great cause because there are so many ways you can help out. 

Photos provided by interviewees