McGill Campus Cutie: Ben Sher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Benjamin Sher speaks for himself. That isn’t to say he isn’t one of the most congenial, kind-hearted people in the Greater McGill Bubble and Area, but rather to say that there is no mistaking his character for anything besides the bona fide. On top of that, he cooks.

Whether he’s whipping up a trademark grill cheese in his plateau kitchen (and this is no Kraft Singles sandwich; think brie, pear, and mango chutney) or spinning his latest creation into literary gold as a food writer for Leacock’s Online Magazine, Ben is not only a skilled epicure, but certainly the most eligible bachelor this side of the green line, though he’d throw a (home baked) pie in my face for saying so.

During a break from studying for finals (did I mention this boy is brilliant?) I chat with Ben about books, Birks, baby elephants, and Sex and the City.

Hometown: Ottawa, Ontario—the capital city, no big deal or anything
Birthday: September 8th, and I’m definitely a true Virgo
Program: History, with a minor in African Studies
Year: Second year, so I’ll still be around for a bit!
Five words that describe you: Dependable, friendly, easy-going, excitable, and lucky (after that list, I may have to add cocky in there as well…)
Many people may not know that I: Can chug ridiculously fast
What is the best class you’ve ever taken? History of South Africa
What is your McGill pet peeve? When someone is writing the same research paper as I am and took out all the books before I could get to them
Top three best non-academic things about McGill? Midnight Kitchen, Birks Reading Room, and Sinfully Asian’s Vegetable Thai Basil
And the best part of Montreal? Little Burgundy/Griffintown

What age, time, or moment in history would you most like to time travel back to? The history major in me would like not to have to pick just one, but I’ll say the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s. So many sweet cultural and intellectual currents came out of that time
Where do you most want to travel now and why? South Africa, because my parents are from Johannesburg and the last time I went I was two years old!
Describe your perfect first date: Late Saturday afternoon, sunny, 21ºC. I’m wearing shorts and a sweater. We go for a nice long walk somewhere naturally beautiful. They have a dog, of course, and we bring her with us. We settle down for a sunset picnic with wine, homemade bread, fancy cheese, and great conversation
What are your top three favourite chick flicks? Depends on what age category we’re talking about here. Top three teen chick flicks are Mean Girls, Bring It On, and 10 Things I Hate About You. Top three romantic comedies are When Harry Met Sally, Sex and the City (the first one obviously) and The Proposal—Sandra Bullock is a comedy goddess!
Which Sex and the City character are you? Two parts Charlotte, one part Carrie, and one part Samantha
And which Mean Girls character are you? Kevin Gnapoor; I’m good at math and I like to think I can rap…
What would someone find if they opened your pantry/fridge? Four items I always keep around are fresh vegetables, aged cheddar cheese, Special K Vanilla Almond, and Mrs. Ball’s Original Recipe Chutney
What did you have for breakfast this morning? Chocolate chip pancakes from scratch smothered with golden syrup…YUM
If you could rename yourself, what would your name be? I always wished that my last name was my mom’s maiden name—Emanuel. Benjamin Emanuel is a way better name than Benjamin Sher (sorry dad!)
What is your spirit animal? Is it weird if I say a baby elephant? Like the one from the Jungle Book?
How would you spend a million dollars?
1) Buy a few designer sweaters and a really excellent pair of sunglasses
2) Take a trip around the world and eat at all the best restaurants
3) Save the rest for future use
What is “The Big Dream” in your life? To wake up excited every day
What was the best thing before sliced bread? I always found the very fact that life exists at all pretty mind-blowing. Does that count?