A How-To Guide: Get Through the Midterm Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

It’s that time of year again friends. You have to dig boots out of the back of your closet, the fall breeze is back and Mont-Royal is an array of orange, red and yellow leaves. But the temperature and leaves are not the only things falling; at a far more rapid rate, my motivation and grades are dipping into oblivion. The greatest tragedy in all of this lies in the onset of midterms. Thankfully, the last three years have taught me some tips and tricks to get through midterm blues with my sanity somewhat intact, and fairly decent grades.

Use Self-Control Apps

If you are like me and have the urge to pick up your phone every three minutes, and swear you’ll start studying after only five minutes of Netflix (which is physically impossible), you may need to invest in self-control apps. These lovely creations prevent apps on your phone from working and block websites on your computer. My personal favorites include Freedom and SelfControl.

Make a Good Playlist

Use some tunes to get into the zone:

There’s nothing like some upbeat music to get you excited to study, because who doesn’t get an adrenaline rush from cracking open a 500-page textbook? Spending the first 10 minutes of study time putting together some songs you know will keep you motivated is always a good idea. You can also use playlists to track the amount of time you want to spend on a specific subject. 

Find Out How You Study

Everyone retains knowledge in different ways. The better you know yourself, the more efficiently you can study. Take a quiz if you are unsure what your perfect study method is.

Diversify Your Study Spaces

Does walking through the doors of McLennan give you anxiety and the heebie jeebies? Congratulations, you’re like 85% of the student body at McGill, but that is probably an indication that you should not be studying there #GoodVibesOnly. Diversify your study locations by going to different libraries- which McGill has a ton of– or cafe’s around the city- which Montreal also has a ton of

Bring Snacks

Do not use your lack of food as an excuse to leave the library (and never come back, because we both know you won’t). Also I’m pretty sure it’s scientifically proven that not bringing food with you makes you hungrier. I just sit there with one thing on my mind:

Study with Friends* 

*Read: not friends who encourage you to leave the library and hit up Saint Cat’s for a mid-day shopping spree, I mean the friends who motivate you.

It’s always nice to know there is someone in it with you. When the motivation starts to dwindle, lean on them for some tough love and a reality check (aka that you need to graduate).

#TreatYoSelf

Reward yourself for the little things! Set goals, and when you accomplish them, #treatyoself. Whether it be with a cupcake, that party you know you shouldn’t go to or a night off at home. Everyone needs to recuperate. 

Take It One at a Time 

You can only do oh-so-much. Take it one day at a time, one test at a time. At the same time, try not to use the work you have already done to neglect what’s coming up. You can do it! 

Images obtained from:

https://giphy.com

http://67.media.tumblr.com/9ec66c99e6f5f7c5da163412577babef/tumblr_inlin…