How to Dress for a Day-Long Study Session at the Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

The semester is almost over. This means that you have endless hours of studying ahead of you. I believe the library provides the trickiest dressing scenario because you do not want to look like you just rolled out of bed, but at the same time you want an outfit that balances comfort, practicality, and style, all at the same time. The library is not a fashion show but you should not show up in the “sweatpants and UGGs” uniform. Here are some tips on how to look cute and comfortable for a study session at the library.

There is nothing wrong with wearing leggings to a study session
They are comfortable, body-friendly, and look cool. If you are going to wear leggings though you should remember these three important rules: 

1. Wear thick and opaque leggings
2. Layering is crucial: do not wear leggings as pants. Rather think of them as tights to wear under skirts, dresses, and short—NOT t-shirts
3. Long tops that go well past your butt to give you coverage 

Jeggings
Jeggings are jeans that fit like leggings. They are extremely comfortable. They are usually tighter than average denim jeans but you can pull them off flawlessly with the right stylizing. Because they look like jeans, you can easily pull them off with shorter tees and tank tops. 

Dress in layers
For all of you McGilllians who spend days and nights at McLennan, you know the thermostat there is bipolar. One floor is like the Caribbean and the very next one is colder than Antarctica. To fight this, wear layers: tank tops, cardigans and scarves will be your best friends; you will be stylish, and at the same time you will be able to focus on your work. 

Keep the loud accessories at home
They are annoying to everyone else in the library. We do not have to know that you are half a kilometer away. Instead, wear scarves, necklaces, and earrings to accessorize your outfit.

Here’s an example of a cute and comfy outfit for a long study session at the library: a pair of dark wash jeggings for a slimming effect and a loose top with wide red stripes to stand out! 

Good Luck on your finals! 

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.