Helena Lin: Foodie First, Student Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Hey collegiettes! This week we have the pleasure of introducing Helena Lin, a Psychology major from Taiwan, an exec at Spoon University and all around foodie!

Fanta Kamara for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Hey Helena! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with HC McGill! Can you tell us a little about yourself for those who don’t know you?

Helena Lin (HL): Of course, I am so thrilled to be able to share a bit about myself with HC McGill! Where do we begin? So my name is Helena Lin. I was born in Taipei, but spent most of my childhood in China, specifically Shanghai and Beijing. I came to McGill with the hopes of pursuing medicine (like every other science student); however, along the way I realized where my true passions lie: food. I have come to learn that what I loved most about medicine was patient interaction, patient care, learning about people’s lives, and engaging on a deeper level; all of which I don’t need a medical degree to do. Thus, I have completely turned around my life’s direction and have been studying at Le Cordon Bleu during the summer when I’m not studying at McGill. People always say that a career in cooking and the restaurant industry is grueling, especially as a woman. However, I firmly believe that if you want to be phenomenal at what you do, it’s going to be incredibly difficult. So why not pursue something you are extremely passionate about?

HC McGill: That is so amazing! I completely agree! It must be so satisfying to have found something you’re so passionate about! You must get asked this a lot, but could you describe your experience at Le Cordon Bleu in one word?

HL: Life-changing.

“Roasted carrots, potatoes and onions with chili spices and sunny side up eggs”

HC McGill: I guess we’ve established that you’re super into (and amazing at) cooking, but how did cooking become an interest?

HL: Food and cooking has always been an integral part of my family when I was growing up. The kitchen has always been the heart of our house. I remember when I was a kid coming home and doing homework in the kitchen as my mom prepared supper for the family. My mom began to teach me how to cook from a young age, as she believes that it is one of the most important life skills someone can have. My love for food continued to grow, first to baking and cake decorating. In high school, I ran my own baking organization that raised money for the Children’s Medical Foundation in China. Now I focus mostly on savoury food and recipe testing for Spoon University.

HC McGill: Wow! Cooking and fundraising all at once! It’s actually really cool that your old passion and new passion came together in that way. This actually brings us to our next question: you’re an exec on Spoon University! Can you explain what that is for people who don’t know?

HL: Spoon University is actually a start up company based in New York City. Originally, Spoon began at Northwestern University as a printed publication about food. Quickly, they moved to an online food blog with recipes, restaurant reviews, and lifestyle pieces written by university students for university students. Today, Spoon University is located in over 150 university campuses worldwide, engaging 25 million unique visitors since January 2014. Spoon University McGill was the first Canadian chapter of Spoon to be launched, and was originally founded by Liza Levitis and Jen Berger.

HC McGill: That sounds like a ton of fun! What’s your favorite thing about being a part of Spoon University?

HL: My favourite thing about Spoon University is definitely being able to share my love and passion for food with other like-minded people. Every week I get to experience food through the lenses of the various writers, photographers, and illustrators at the McGill chapter of Spoon. To learn more about some of the Spoon McGill team, be sure to check out the beautiful photo album put together by McGillography. In turn, I get to engage with local business owners and learn more about the Montreal food scene. Spoon University has been a great way for me to also develop my skills as a food photographer and recipe developer.

Find more hunger-inducing photos like this on Helena’s Instagram: foodiefirststudentlater

HC McGill:What’s your favorite food or favorite thing to cook?

HL: I hate it when people ask me this question because it is so difficult to answer! Currently, I would have to say my favourite thing to cook is the spring pea ravioli recipe (pictured above) I developed for my family friend’s pasta shop.

HC McGill: So now to your own venture! Can you tell us more about the pasta shop?

HL: The pasta shop! This past November a family friend of mine bought a pasta shop over in Verdun, Pasta O’Mari. Since then, I have been helping them rebrand and reshape the business. Pasta O’Mari is mainly a wholesale pasta business that partners with local businesses like Aroma café, Birks café and Lufa farms. I like to think that what sets Pasta O’Mari apart from other pasta producers is that we choose to remain a small artisanal pasta shop, using traditional pasta making methods to push what pasta can be. In the fall I will be working at the shop part-time, doing more recipe development as well as giving ravioli making workshops. Iam super excited to see how the business will grow in the next year!

Follow Pasta O’Mari on Instagram or on Facebook to see more!

Pasta O’Mari is located on 6584 Boul. Monk, Montréal, Québec, H4E 3J1.

Check out Spoon University McGill’s website and their Facebook page.

Photos provided by the interviewee.

Fanta is a third year Economics student at McGill, who minors in German Literature and Political Science. She loves all things to do with writing, fashion, Queen Bey and Quesada. Note: On Wednesdays, she wears pink.  
Aspiring writer