Get to Know the Directors of ECOuture 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Getting to Know Jenna and Hannah

Jenna Dilworth and Hannah King are the directors of ECOuture’s 2016 Fashion Show, which they’ve named EcoLUXE to emphasize that supporting sustainable fashion doesn’t mean saying goodbye to your rocking sense of style–you can still be loud on the glam-and-fab factors! The ECOuture committee has been working hard to put together a night of fashion, great models, dancing, and music performances, and these two have been the backbone of what’s promised to be an engaging and eye-opening night on the 22nd of March

Hannah King, ECOUture 2016 Director

Jenna Dilworth, ECOuture 2016 Director

Cleona Tsang for HerCampus McGill (HC McGill): Hey, Jenna and Hannah! Thank you for agreeing to answer my barrage of questions. Can you tell us where you’re from, what your majors are, and what year you two are in?

J: I’m from Germany, and I’m a U3 Biology major with a minor in Psychology.

H: I’m from the Prairies and I’m a U2 Pharm major.

HC McGill: Hannah, describe Jenna in one sentence.

H: Hanging out with Jenna is like when you put on a jacket and find 5 dollars in the breast pocket. That is how I feel.

HC McGill: Jenna, if Hannah were piece of clothing, what piece of clothing would she be, and why?

J: Hannah would be your favorite pair of jeans because she is a dependable old favorite, and if she got wrecked in the washer I would be sad.

Her Campus: Where on campus are we most likely to find you?

J: The Second Cup in Stewart Biology!

H: Burnside Basement.

A Chat about the ECOuture 2016 Show

Her Campus McGill: We are so excited about the upcoming ECOuture Fashion Show on March 22nd! Can you tell us a little about what inspired you two to become directors?

J: I heard about ECOuture through the SUS involvement package in first year. It sounded like an amazing concept to me, and a really cool way to promote a more sustainable lifestyle to students, so I applied and got the job! This is my second year directing.

H: My roommate Jenna asked me to be a director, and I agreed because I didn’t even realize that most fashion was unsustainable, so this is clearly something that needs to be promoted on campus.

Her Campus McGill: What about ECOuture is so different from other charity fashion shows or events on campus?

J: ECOuture is not only about raising money for environmental charities  – it’s also about raising awareness about how easy it is for students to live a more sustainable lifestyle by simply changing the choices they make in their everyday lives just a little bit!

Her Campus McGill: We’ve heard the term “sustainable fashion” being used a lot on the event page. Can you tell us more about what “sustainable fashion” means?

J: Sustainable fashion is not only about wearing clothes made from hemp or completely organic materials. It can be as simple as buying clothes secondhand, or buying from a local designer because that eliminates the giant carbon footprint created by transporting materials and clothing halfway across the world.

Her Campus McGill: ECOuture’s selling  point emphasizes sustainability without compromising fashion. How do you suggest the general McGill population participate in this on an everyday basis?

H: McGill Clothing Exchange is an amazing resource to make more sustainable fashion choices. Not only can you get discount clothing, but you can resell your own clothes and make a little extra pocket money.

Her Campus McGill: Other than the fashion show itself, what else can we expect at the show?

J & H: A raffle that you’ll be entered into automatically with your ticket purchase, dancing models, excellent music choices, clothing puns, and us celebrating Hannah’s 21st birthday in style!

Her Campus McGill: Can you explain what goes into selecting the particular sponsors at your show? What sorts of criteria do they meet, and why did you choose these criteria?

J:  Our criteria are quite broad! We wanted to show that there are many ways to make sustainable choices in fashion. We use designers who use sustainable materials or manufacturing processes, or those who are local… or both!

Her Campus McGill: You guys are roommates! How do you make sure you give each other enough space while still being able to work on organizing ECOuture’s 2016 show together?

H: We don’t need space, we get along so well and spend every second of every day together.

Her Campus McGill: If you could pick one soundtrack that would loop again and again throughout the show, which song would it be?

J & H: “Einmal um die Welt” by Cro because people can’t tell when you screw up the lyrics if it’s German rap!

ECOuture’s model photoshoot gives us a taste of what to expect at the show, and Jenna and Hannah have provided a few here! 

Check out the full album, and the ECOuture Fashion Show 2016 event page!

All images contributed by the interviewees.