Geneviève Emond: Owner of Bota Bota, spa-sur-l’eau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

If there’s one thing every student at McGill can agree on, it’s that it’s important to take time to relax. The ultimate place to do this is at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l’eau, a place where tranquility itself comes to unwind. Situated on a boat in the Old Port of Montreal, Bota Bota is paradise on the St. Lawrence. I spoke with owner Geneviève Emond (pictured below) to bring you the skinny on this luxurious relaxation destination.

Reba Wilson for HC McGill: How did you get the idea for a spa-sur-l’eau? 

Geneviève Emond: Our idea was to offer the full spa services to Montreal, including the water circuit and great areas of relaxation right in the city. The idea of a boat came with it as it was a requirement for us to have the spa by the water.

RW: How did you acquire the boat? How much did you have to renovate the boat to transform it into a spa. What did you do specifically?

GE: The transformation was complete. We kept the structure of the boat, but we redid most of the hull, opened up the spaces that were very dark (since the boat at the time was a floating theatre), and created a new upper deck. Basically, I’d say 95% of the boat is new.

RW: How does Bota Bota’s nautical setting influence the services you offer?

GE: All the services and the design revolve around water. The nautical setting does not influence Bota Bota, it is Bota Bota… What I mean is that we have created the spa on a ship, therefore [we] needed to respect the basic notions of ship building. Therefore it is in our DNA. It translates in the design, the almost abusive use of portholes, the choice of building materials, the staff uniforms and most of all, the open-air/open-space design. 
RW: What are your most popular treatments?

GE: The water circuit and the massages. We have an interesting selection of massage techniques from which our customers can chose at the time of booking, our most distinctive being the Bota Bota choreographed massage, which we developed with harpist Annabelle Renzo. Music and massage were created as a whole.

RW: You offer a unique treatment – the water circuit. Can you please describe this for our readers?

GE: The Water Circuit is the core of our business and the main reason Bota Bota exists. The water circuit is made of clearly defined steps. It starts on the Promenade Deck or the Sunshine Deck for a 10 to 15 minute session in one of our two sauna or our steam baths. This raises body temperature, dilates pores and flushes out toxins. Next, a courageous dip (head included!) into one of the cold baths or under the cold shower gets your heart pumping and closes your pores. The final step in the Nordic bath circuit involves stretching out in one of our many relaxation areas. You can also enjoy the stunning views from one of the whirlpools or curl up in a chair on the Middle Deck for 20 minutes, as your heart rate returns to normal. This is your time to close your eyes, relax, and let yourself be swept away. For the ultimate thermal experience, the hot, cold and relaxation sequence should be repeated three or four times.

RW: Did you always know you wanted to own a spa? How did you decide on this business? 

GE: A spa is an interesting business to be in, and not only for the side-benefits that come with it! I like the idea of giving comfort to others, there sure is some luxury pampering going on, but I know for a fact that we provide a healthy solution to some minor health problems to many people, from stress relief to more acute chronic pains. 

RW: Do you have any advice for the aspiring entrepreneurs among our readers?

GE: Surround yourself with solid people, seasoned entrepreneur, those people who have experienced both successes and failures are those whom you can bounce off ideas. Friends are not always the best counsellors – friends want to be nice to you so maybe they won’t tell you if you’re about to make a mistake. But make sure you do have friends around, because they are the ones who will help you if you ever fail.

Reba has always had a passion for writing, as well as editing, and has worked for and contributed to magazines and newspapers including Luxury Report, Urecommend, Vallum: Contemporary Poetry and The Ottawa Citizen. An ardent traveler and lover of haute cuisine and fashion, Reba is studying English Literature at McGill University. Follow her on Twitter @Reba_Wilson.