Founding Sisters: Maggie DeMilt on McGill’s Newest Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

This year, Alpha Phi chartered their new chapter at McGill University, working hard to ensure a successful beginning! Today, HerCampus sat down with Maggie DeMilt, one of the chapter’s founding members, to understand their journey.

Lauren Ballard for HerCampus McGill (HC McGill): What made you want to join Alpha Phi?

Maggie: Honestly I was super hesitant about joining a sorority, as I came from a small private all-girls high school in the States so I figured I wanted something different. A bit into school I realized that I was missing the idea of sisterhood that I received in high school. I found that with Alpha Phi, I got that sense of sisterhood and found a home here at McGill.

HC McGill: What kind of things have you been doing to establish your chapter at McGill?

Maggie: Since it is a new chapter, my sorority experience has been a bit different in comparison to others. Alpha Phi is like a start-up company: members have the power to structure and mold the kind of sorority we will be now and in the future. In order to do this, Alpha Phi has been trying to find a way to immerse themselves in the Montreal and McGill community alike. I have been involved with helping the heavy research of our philanthropy committee, but this semester I am the Panhel delegate so I work to help represent Alpha Phi in decisions made by the overarching governing body of sorority life here.

HC McGill: Has it been hard? What have you most enjoyed?

Maggie: It’s been one of the most challenging and rewarding things I’ve done. Looking back at where we started as a sorority and where we are now is mind blowing. Other than meeting the incredible women I can proudly call my sisters, one of my favourite things about being a part of Alpha Phi is being able to see the progress and know that I actually took part in it. As much as I am a part of Alpha Phi, Alpha Phi is quite honestly a part of me.

HC McGill: How do you and your fellow sisters want to define Alpha Phi at McGill in the years to come?

Maggie: For me, I see Alpha Phi being an established sorority here on campus with a reputation on valuing sisterhood, loyalty, and overall empowerment. I asked some of my other sisters and they really put it beautifully: Alison White sees future Alpha Phi “as a place for female empowerment and support, and as a beacon of intelligent and strong women” and Taylor Fitzpatrick says that Alpha Phi will be the “unison of strong women in friendship and scholarship”.

Alpha Phi’s installation of the Kappa Zeta chapter is happening this Saturday at 1pm in Thomson House and is open to friends and family of Alpha Phi for $15. Alpha Phi will also be participating in Formal Recruitment in September, along with other McGill sororities, Alpha Omicron Pi, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Kappa Kappa Gamma. More information on recruitment and Greek Life can be found here.

Images obtained from interviewee.

Lauren is the Campus Correspondent of HC McGill, in her third year of university. She is an Anthropology major with a minor in English Literature, and is passionate about her dog, her bed and archaeology.
Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Gabrielle is a fourth year student at McGill University. She watches a lot (some might say too much TV) and has gotten into screaming matches over movies. In her spare time, she enjoys being utterly self-deprecating. For clever tweets, typically composed by her favorite television writers, follow her twitter. For overly-posed (but pretending not to be) photographs follow her Instagram.