Collegiette of the Month: Regina Wung

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet Regina Wung, a second-year student at McGill who has been an incredible part of the Her Campus team since joining this year. We got to sit down to talk with her about what it was like to interview members of Busty and the Bass, her favorite books, not-so-secret talents, and more!

Esther Vinarov for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Where are you from, and what’s your program at McGill? 

Regina Wung (RW): Where I’m from is kind of hard to say, because I was born in Taiwan and then we moved to Canada and then we moved to the US. I usually say I’m from North Carolina because that’s where I went to high school.  I’m majoring in economics and minoring in French.

HC McGill: Why did you get involved with Her Campus?

RW: First year I did basically nothing and I felt like I didn’t really get out of my comfort zone much so this year I wanted to meet new people, join more things on campus. I was walking around at activities night and I saw the Her Campus table and I’ve always liked writing so I joined.

HC McGill: What else are you involved with on campus?

RW: I’m also in Democrats Abroad at McGill, and I’m not really involved, but I go to the events for McGill International Students Network, even though I’m not really international  I’ll meet people there and they’ll ask where I’m from and I say the US, and they go ‘oh I’m  from Brazil or Australia’ [laughs].

HC McGill: What is your favorite article that you have written for Her Campus?

RW: The first article I wrote, Yes Means Yes, had the biggest impact on me, it was the most positive experience I had because it was sort of after I wrote that article I kind of realized ‘hey, I really like writing.’ Before I had never written for other  people to read, it was just writing in my diary, so after that, I realized I really liked writing for others and it made me happy. A close second would probably be the one I wrote about the Chapel Hill shooting just because I’m from North Carolina, a lot of my friends go to UNC, my sister went to UNC, I almost went to UNC. It really hits close to home from me, so being able to write about  that made me feel better that I was able to kind of bring that to more attention here. Since it’s North Carolina not many people hear about what goes on down there.

HC McGill: So you wrote an article a few weeks ago with reading suggestions. I’m guessing you’re a reader – what are some of your favorite books?

RW: Besides the ones mentioned in that first article, The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen – now when I read it it’s not as relevant to my life but when I first read it back in high school I thought ‘wow, I relate so much to this girl,’ and so it has a lot of sentimental value and I’ll read it every now and then. Others are obviously, Harry Pottter; The Hunger Games. I was a fan of Divergent but I’m still a little bitter about the ending. I’m a fan of John Greene, but who isn’t, really. There’s a book called Saving June by Hannah Harrington, it’s kind of sad but also really good.

HC McGill: Cool, that’s a really nice mix of books!

RW: I do read nonfiction too but I like to read fiction because I see reading as a way to escape into someone’s else’s world because I’m avoiding my own work, usually.

HC McGill: Do you have any secret talents?

RW: Mhmm.. yeah.. I mean, sort of.

HC McGill: Are they so secret that you can’t tell me?

RW: They’re not actually talents but I say they’re talents. I play the oboe, so there’s that. And I speak French and Chinese in addition to English.

HC McGill: Do you have a bucket list of top three places you want to visit in the world?

RW: I don’t know if I can narrow it down to three, but right now, I think my top three places would be Italy, the Netherlands, and the UK.

HC McGill: What was it like to write the Busty articles just as they were getting famous?

RW: I was kind of starstruck! To be honest I had no idea who they were before and after I interviewed the first couple of guys I realized how popular they actually were and then I went to one of their shows and I was completely fangirling. They’re all really nice. I’ve seen a few of them on campus but not often because they’re usually in the music building, but I see a couple of them and they say hi. At the Rock Your Campus show I saw one of them and he hugged me and I thought that was so sweet! During the interviews it was weird when I asked the question ‘Single or taken’ – they all looked at me weird when I asked that, and I was like, ‘I’m not hitting on you!’ I remember one guy, when I asked that question, he was like ‘wait, is this for the interview?’ [laughs]

You can read up on the many Busty and the Bass band members that Regina interviewed, plus her other top-notch articles, here

Katrina served as the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus McGill from 2013-2015.  With a love of writing, fashion, and fitness, she spent a lot of her time exploring Montréal to find great things around campus and in the city to share with the Her Campus readers. Twitter @KatrinaKairys.Awarded 1st place for "On Campus Publicity" for My Campus Chapter Awards 2014Awarded Her Campus "Gold Chapter Level" 2013Awarded Her Campus "Platinum Chapter Level" 2014