Campus Celebrity: James McGill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Most of us pass by the statue of James McGill on a daily basis to get to class. As you walked past lower field last week, you may have noticed that he was adorned with balloons and a bristol board with Happy Birthday written on it.

Early this month, we celebrated James McGill’s 267th birthday. Born October 6, 1744, McGill was a Scottish fur trader and successful businessman (yes, I listen in my Canadian Studies seminar). When he died, requested that his estate be turned into the distinguished Canadian institution we attend today. McGill College, as it was named at the time and where we got our street name from, was founded in 1821.

We all know that McGill students don’t need any excuses to party, so last week, McGillians took James’ birthday as yet another reason to partake in festivities. AUS Bar des Arts collaborated with SOAR and put a spin on their usual Thursday nights in the Arts Lounge by celebrating James McGill’s birthday. Also, this Tuesday, free cupcakes were distributed in various spots on campus in his honour.

In the midst of midterms, we may be tempted to curse his very existence, but take some time this week to unwind, and celebrate James McGill’s birthday! 

Photo credit: Giselle Boresta

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.