Campus Celebrity: Alexis Charest, President of Inter Greek Letter Council

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

McGill is a BIG university with about 40,000 students enrolled and over 230 student clubs present. Despite the great number of students, it is easy to get lost in such a diverse and massive population and many students have a hard time finding where they belong. In this case, student clubs are often a popular and effective solution as students go searching for the right community to get involved in to meet new people, pursue their hobbies outside of school, and build themselves a home away from home.

That being said, more and more students have been joining the Greek community on campus, making the Inter Greek Letter Council (IGLC) the second largest student club at McGill. IGLC represents all four sororities and eight fraternities on campus with about 800 members involved, and with the new executive members on board, they’re looking to expand their campus presence more than ever.

This week, Her Campus McGill interviewed the president of IGLC, Alexis Charest Descomme. Keep reading to find out more about what it’s like to be a Greek at McGill and how to get involved. 

Photo from IGLC’s event, Greek Week Winter 2015, with different fraternity members

Averie Hah for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Hi Alexis, thanks for coming out today for this intereviw! To start off, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Alexis Charest Descomme (AC): Thanks for having me, Averie! Sure, I’m in my 3rd year at McGill, majoring in Economics and minoring in Political Science. I am of French and Haitian decent with a Canadian citizenship, having grown up in Toronto. I’m a HUGE fan of football (the proper kind, not American) and my favorite dish is teriyaki salmon. I’m in the Sigma Chi Fraternity and am currently head of alumni relations as well as sponsorship coordinator for our upcoming week long fundraising event, Derby Days!

HC McGill: What is IGLC about and what is the goal of the organization?

AC: The Inter-Greek Letter Council is about bringing together the Greek community, as well as facilitating its interaction with the McGill community and Montreal at large. We’re a great group of people who like to stay involved on campus and make things exciting for McGill and ourselves.

Our main goal is honestly two-pronged. Firstly, to create and help nurture a welcoming Greek community at McGill. Secondly, to provide support to the McGill and Montreal community at large through philanthropic and social events, be it through financial means, volunteering or providing exposure to important groups and messages that align with our values.

HC McGill: When did you first get involved with IGLC?

AC: I was the IGLC representative for my fraternity my first year at McGill. It was definitely an eye-opening experience for me. IGLC has a legacy of hosting great events such as Greek Week (I had a blast during Greek Week my first year) and I plan to continue, and build upon that legacy!

HC McGill: Tell us about your responsibilities as the president of IGLC. What is the best aspect and the most difficult aspect of your role?

AC: As President of the IGLC, I oversee most of our activities with sororities, fraternities and the McGill and Montreal communities at large. Alongside my super-capable team of executives, we’re trying to make all of our events fun, impactful, and beneficial to those around us!

The best thing about my role is my exposure to all the various Greek organizations at McGill. Before I took the role as president, I was somewhat isolated and did not know the other organizations (mainly fraternities) as well, nor did I know many of their members. Having a direct line of communication with the Greek Community during our general meetings has definitely given me a completely different perspective as to the different values, perspectives and opinions present within our community, and has helped me appreciate them so much more.

The most difficult thing about my role is knowing to limit myself and delegate. I came into this role very excited and prepared to bring about new ideas to the Greek community. However, over-extension is a very present risk for all execs in all organizations and something I am trying very hard to avoid. Delegating tasks and executing efficiently through the various execs I have on board is definitely the toughest part of my role, and something I am improving upon on a daily basis.

Photo of Alexis’s fraternity, Sigma Chi

HC McGill: What would you say are the biggest benefits of joining the Greek community at McGill?

AC: I can only speak for myself, but the Greek Community has helped me develop socially, through the great people I have met in the various organizations and the many great events hosted by the IGLC and the various Greek organizations on campus.

Professionally, my fraternity has exposed me to employment and internship opportunities within Canada and abroad. Through scholarships, leadership programs and the friends I’ve made with Sigs (Sigma Chis) from around the world, the value of my membership with Sigma Chi (see photo above) is priceless.

Personally, the Greek Community has helped me improve and grow significantly. The bonds I’ve made with the incredible people within the Greek system not only at McGill, but in Miami, Toronto, and various other cities around the world have led to incredible experiences. The ability to be in almost any city around the world, and have access to someone who has gone through the same experiences in the Greek system as me is incredible!

The Greek community is a tight-knit community that is supportive rather than competitive. We help and support each other in our various events and endeavors, which only leads to growth, happiness and success!

Photo from Sorority Recruitment Fall 2015

HC McGill: How can a McGill student join a fraternity or sorority?

AC: Most Greek organizations hold their rush during the fall semester and it has just concluded for the semester (sorry!). However, some organizations also host rush during the spring semester as well. Rush is essentially a series of events held by members of the Greek organization, where we get to know the people interested in our organization, and they get to know us a bit better!

Sorority recruitment is a group recruitment process where all the girls interested in sorority life visit all the sororities on campus. Meeting all girls from all organizations helps both the sorority members and the girls who want to join gauge compatibility! Most girls find a group of girls with whom they get along with splendidly which leads to lifelong bonds and great experiences. 

Fraternity rush is a bit less structured than the sorority rush program. For fraternities, it is important to contact the individual fraternities and find out when the rush dates are for the upcoming semester. We often table at Activities Night and Discover McGill. Otherwise, contact information for all the fraternities is on the IGLC website!

If anyone has any more questions about recruitment, the Greek Community, our events or if you just want to talk, I can always be reached by email (acharest.descomme@gmail.com) and Facebook!

HC McGill: Thanks again for coming out, Alexis, I’m sure this interview will be of great help to anyone interested in Greek Life!

Images provided by interviewee.

Averie Hah

McGill '17

Digital marketer, social media enthusiast writer, feminist, leader in training. Recent Marketing and Economics graduate of McGill. A social media enthusiast  - Instagram addict @ave.hah  - Tumblr junkie here  - See my other work here