This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

We live in the future. Our minds are preoccupied by the uncertainty of what happens next. Think about it—how much of your mental energy is devoted to organizing your time? First, are the trivialities: plans for lunch, for the night ahead, for the next hangover-filled weekend. Then as students, we think about the upcoming items on our agendas, the next assignment due, and the next exam. We were taught that this type of planning is positive, and that it is called “time management”—as though time is something that can be “managed.”

What ends up happening while we’re making all these plans is a failure to live in the “now,” a failure to experience the present moment for what it is. We end up with expectations for the future, and are disappointed when they don’t come to fruition. Take the weather, for example. The equinox has just passed, and March 21stwas the first day of spring. There were a few sunny, warm(ish) days, and I’m sure that like me, you started daydreaming about shorts, sandals, and sundresses- and then it snowed. All that results from our expectations not being met is disappointment, frustration, and general resentment for things not working out the way we wanted them to. “Live in the moment,” is a corny, and overdone way to say what is actually quite true—it is better to be mentally present for what is now rather than what may be later on.

This is easier said than done. There are certainly people for whom living this somewhat hedonistic lifestyle comes naturally. For others, it is difficult, even seemingly impossible to turn off the inner monologue of thoughts and plans. Without realizing it, we engage in various activities (some unhealthy) to turn off our brains and find peace of mind. Drinking, getting high, and doing drugs are just a few of the not-so-savory ways people try and allow themselves to enjoy the moment they’re in (even if sometimes they ultimately regret those moments afterwards). I am sure that there are many ways to cultivate a “live in the now” attitude, but personally, I recommend yoga.

In fact, the first of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras (what is commonly considered a yogic manifesto, the yoga bible if you will) reads “Atha Yoganushasanam.” “Atha” means “now” while “anusasanam” means “exposition” or “instruction.” This sutra has been translated from Sanskrit to English, and studied by yoga students and gurus alike. Like most sacred texts, interpretations are many and varied. Yet it is safe to conclude that in general, what Patanjali means to say is “Yoga is now,” and that “Yoga is to be in the present moment.”  Throughout a yoga practice, the aim is to be present for each breath, to cultivate an awareness of what is happening in the body and mind for every posture. This moving meditation ends with a still meditation, and ultimately leads to the calming of the mind.

Achieving this kind of control over the mind is not easy, and not something that can be learned in a day (or a week, or a month, or a year, or even in ten years). It is even fair to say that it may not be possible to achieve. Still, it is important to give yourself the opportunity to try to create some space for tranquility, even if it’s only for a few moments. So, go to a yoga class! There are numerous schools of yoga that may appeal: Kundalini, Ashtanga, Hatha-Vinyasa, Bikram, Jivamukti, Iyengar, Sivananda—the list goes on.

I regret to admit that while philosophies of yoga are centered on the metaphysical and immaterial world, the unfortunate truth is that generally, attending a yoga class costs money. The good news though, is that there are many opportunities for free yoga classes around Montreal, and some right on the McGill campus.

This Thursday, March 31st is Stress Relief Day at SSMU. In addition to healthy snacks and tea, there will be free yoga classes during the day. Also, there are weekly classes taking place in the SSMU building on Tuesdays, hosted by yours truly, and on Thursdays, hosted by McGill Art of Living Club. So, stop by SSMU this week to check out a yoga class! Rid yourself of expectation, anticipation, and give it a try. If yoga is not for you, then just resolve to do something good for your mind and body. It should be the only “plan” you make this week.

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.