AUS VP Internal Kira Smith On Being Ultra-Involved, Time Management & Fourth-Year Feels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Your new AUS VP Internal, Kira Smith, is everywhere. Over the past 4 years, studying both English and Philosophy, Kira has also managed to be a part of roughly 10 McGill-affiliated organizations (you heard that right)! Constantly adding new tools to her toolbelt, Kira has a word of advice (or two) for those of you who want to do it all. Who would know more about time management? Peep our chat below to meet the AUS exec-extraordinaire! 

What does your new position entail? As the AUS VP Internal, I’m lucky enough to work closely with our departmental associations! I serve as their resource person and represent them to the AUS. As well, I oversee our first-year student council (FEARC) and environmental council (AUSec).   More importantly though, I work to ensure the respectful use of Arts spaces, specifically through monitoring events held in our heritage rooms (e.g. Arts 160) and ensuring that gustatory delights do not create messes (by consuming them all).

What was it about this position that intrigued you? As the former VP External of the Department of English Student Association (DESA), I experienced the joys (Wine and Cheese events) and struggles (interminable classroom announcements) of departmental executives.  I loved working with my co-execs and other departmental associations, and learned so much from them. At the same time, I’ve also always cared quite a bit about first-year student life, and have worked to improve it as a Frosh leader and FEARC co-president.  Altogether, it was the opportunity to work with departments and incoming students, that made this position seem so special to me!

What are you most excited for this year? With the AUS, I’m most excited to interact with all of our student groups!  They never fail to impress me with the work they do, and they’re constantly reaffirming my belief that McGill has a ridiculously talented and passionate student body.  I’m also so thrilled to be sitting on the Faculty of Arts Committee on Student Affairs again this year, which I hope will be moving some important mental health and academic policies forward.  

What is the first item on your agenda for the 2016-17 school year? Catching up on readings! Don’t tell Professor Stroud, but I’m still getting through some of the metaethics papers from last week… Also, I need to buy a McGill gym membership. I’m hoping that public accountability will be what’s necessary to finally get me there, so thank you Her Campus! <3

Thus far, what is your fave part of your new job? Being a small part of bringing samosas to the people. Truly, our executive assistants, student groups, and Pushap, should take the most credit.  Nonetheless, I am honoured to play a tiny role in showing people the way. (I also love spending time with this year’s wonderful exec team!)

Are you involved in any other extra-curricular activities? Yes! First, I’m thrilled to be a Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) facilitator! If you haven’t heard of WRAP, find out more here!  As well, I’m a copy editor with the The Bull and Bear, and hope to do some journal editing again this year.  Although not at McGill, I’m also an editor for Editana and study part-time through Ryerson University’s online publishing program.  Most importantly, you’ll find me in the fieldhouse or in Molson Stadium playing intramural volleyball and ultimate frisbee.

How do you time manage? What is your best piece of advice for the ultra-involved? Organization and efficiency are my two favourite things (wow so lame, I know).  Keeping an organized space and using an old-school agenda help me be most efficient with my time. I’m also a very quick walker, which I figure has saved me tens of minutes over the last few years.  For the ultra-involved, I’d say, as much as possible, prioritize your wellness. I’m not always great at doing this, but I believe that your health (holistically) is so much more important than the obligations you have. There are many strategies for time management, but caring for yourself and surrounding yourself with people who support and care for you is universal!  

Do you have any advice for first years who are looking to get involved? Where’s the first place they should look? First, identify what it is that you love to do! What do you want to do with your spare time? How do you want to grow and what do you want to learn? Where do you think you could change the lives of your peers?  After a bit of brainstorming, connect with multiple groups or people that you think could be a good fit! McGill has an overwhelming number of opportunities, but if you’ve found that what you’re looking for doesn’t exist, create it!  Personally, all opportunities I’ve found were advertised in Listservs. (This is not a paid endorsement, I promise.)  I’d highly suggest giving them a read!

Are you more excited or nervous to graduate? Where do you see yourself this time next year? I’m generally excited about most things, but graduation has me feeling more nostalgic than anything. Overall, I’m mostly feeling grateful that I’ve had the privilege of pursuing higher education, especially with the McGill community. As for the second question, whew, I’m so glad to be figuring out an answer to this before my family asks at Thanksgiving!  This might be unsatisfying, but I’m not quite sure right now! I’d hoped for a long time that I would finally just open myself to the gentle indifference of the world, but I’m not sure that my mom would approve of “absurdist philosopher” as a career choice. This time next year, I hope I’m doing something I love, maybe in the realm of publishing or mental health.

Speed Round!

Sweet or salty? Sweet

Romance or comedy? Comedy

Morning or night? Morning

BDA or 4 a 7?  LOL (love you MUS)

McLennan or Schulich? McLennan (Fishbowl if I’m being real)

Coffee or tea? Both, decaf.

Pencil or pen? Pen

Aspiring writer