brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ali Inay, Montreal-based Instagram Maven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Instagram: For some, it is a word that describes the first thing they look at in the morning, for others it is known as “Twitter for people who don’t want to read.” Whichever way you like to see it, it is very hard to deny how captivating it is. Twitter has opened up the doors of sharing our lives in 140 characters, but Instagram has opened up a new world where we can paint a picture of our lives and peak into others’ lives too.  Some use it to share their daily meals, but others, such as Ali Inay, a 25-year-old PhD student in management at McGill, use it to connect to others and help them in their journey to discover Montreal.

Having completed his undergrad in Turkey, Ali came to Montreal to get his PhD, and wasn’t really planning on getting the attention he is getting now.

“I became interested in photography in 2007, but I opened up my account on Instagram in 2012,” he says when I asked him about how it all started. “ I started posting photographs daily and then slowly began getting more followers.” He gained around 20,000 followers when his pictures started to be featured in Instagram’s “Suggested User” page. With 35,000 followers now, he is one of the most influential names when it comes to Montreal urban photography.

When asked about how one can accomplish what he’s achieving on Instagram now, he doesn’t need much time to give his answer: “Consistency and having a concept are two key things if you want people notice your work” he emphasizes, adding that having certain themes is an important aspect that attracts people to certain users.

He doesn’t consider himself an “Instagram-star” and adds that for people living in certain cities, such as New York, 35,000 followers is not that hard to gain. In Montreal, there aren’t very many people that are doing the same thing he is, so it’s a lot easier to be noticed by people seeking to discover Montreal through his lens.

He also believes that the idea of reaching out to people using hashtags is a thing of the past:

“Say you use the hashtag ‘food’ – by the time the picture is even posted, it will end up on the third page and nobody really gets to see it.”

There is also a very big social aspect of Instagram” he notes. “It allows for people to see your work and give you comments; it’s a great social experience.” He mentions that as much as it is about sharing pictures, it is also about reaching out to people. He has seen cities through the eyes of other Instagram-mavens and also has given back by showing people around Montreal.

Who does somebody with 35,000 follower follow? Where does he get inspiration?

“Pretty much everywhere,” he explains.  “It’s not just about liking other pictures, it’s also about seeing how other people live their lives.” He admits to even following some farmers living in England, because “Even though they might not be the best photographers, it’s a very unique way to see how other people live and what their daily life looks like.”

The hashtag he initiated, #mtlcafecrawl, already has 5,000 pictures attached to it and is one of the first places Ali visits when he wants to discover new places in Montreal.

“Sometimes the barista will share a picture of a and I’ll go visit to take a look.”

He also points out that the best way to discover the city is to plan to go a particular area and just start exploring from there.

“Some of the best places I found were places I saw as I was riding my bike getting home, so you never know when you’ll find a great place, you just have to be open to trying new things.”

If you want to know more about Ali and his work visit his Instagram page, @inayali on Twitter,, or his website. His latest project is a collaboration with “In The Mouth,” a restaurant event where “experimental suppers” are served and no two menus are the same. You can visit their website for more information. 

Images obtained from: http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Montrealers+share+their+secrets+….

Some images provided by the interviewee.