Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Adulting 101: Never Assume Someone Likes Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Chapter 10: Never assume someone loves Valentine’s Day

I get off the bus, my hands full of flowers and presents for Sam. People were staring at me on the bus, probably because Valentine’s Day was 3 days ago, but since Sam had midterms at school, we hadn’t had a chance to see each other for over a week. Right now, she has no idea I’m coming over with V-Day presents, and imagining how surprised she’ll be makes me smile to myself. I walk up the street on the opposite sidewalk because it’s sunny, feeling the warmth of the February sun through my coat. For me, when it’s sunny enough that you can wear sunglasses, it’s a clear sign that winter is coming to an end. And what do Canadians love more than the end of winter? NOTHING! Not even hockey or Justin Trudeau!

I punch the code at the front door of Sam’s building and press the up button on the elevator. Sam lives in this fancy building where all the apartments are brand new and also very expensive. I never asked her how she can afford this place – the first time I came over we had just started dating and it wasn’t an appropriate thing to ask, and now I’ve been here too many times to ask. But, I have to admit, I love her apartment! It’s beautiful, full of light, with very high ceilings! And she also lives alone, which makes her apartment three times more awesome! No roommate to share with, talk to or deal with when they are being crazy! You can walk around naked if you want to, watch whatever you want on Netflix without having to share the living room or keep the volume down! So much freedom! I wish I could afford that.

The elevator doors open and I step in. I press number 5, and a moment later I’m on Sam’s floor. I walk to the end of the hallway on knock on door #518. I’m all jittery and smiling, excited to surprise Sam. The door opens and I yell “HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY” to my girlfriend who’s still in her pajamas, looking at me very confused.

-Eh…

I’m still waiting for her to react, but she just stares at me with an awkward look. I feel my smile fade on my face and something tightens in my chest. I was so unsure if I should do something for Valentine’s Day or not, since we’ve only been going out for a little while, but my friends all told me it was a great idea!

-Everybody loves Valentine’s Day! Said Tristan, who dyed his red hair pink on Wednesday for the occasion. They say they don’t, but everybody loves it! The little presents, the attention, the flowers, the decorations, it’s all so nice and pretty, nobody can resist that!

And now, here I am, on the threshold of my girlfriend’s apartment, my hands full of gifts wrapped in pink and red paper, her staring at me like I just slapped her in the face, me on the verge of tears. The moment lasts longer, long enough to be very uncomfortable, and I do the only thing I can think of doing in that moment: I drop everything on the floor and run for the stairs, trying to hide the tears that can’t stop rolling down my cheeks.

-Elliot! She calls out.

I push the door to the staircase open and start running down the stairs, taking them two by two, now sobbing. I miss one step at some point, halfway between the third and second floor, and fall down the last five steps, ending up on my knees in front of the door that leads to the second floor. Now, I’m not just crying because I just totally humiliated myself in front of the girl I’m dating, but also because my ankle hurts so bad it feels like there’s a knife or something sharp stuck in it.

-Elliot!

She runs to me, kneeling down next to me. She looks at me, unsure of what to do, asking me if I’m hurt. I can’t stop crying, but I also don’t want her to see me cry like a big baby so I hide my face in my arms. She sits down next to me and pulls me to her. For a moment, I resist, but her scent, her warmth, her voice, they all pull me to her like gravity. I hide my face in her neck, and she plays with my hair until I calm down. When I stop crying, she helps me up, but I can barely walk. We take the elevator on the second floor back to the fifth floor, and she helps me into her apartment. I sit on the couch while she brings in the flowers and gift I dropped in the hallway. When she’s done, she brings me a glass of water and some ice for my ankle. I’m careful not to look into her eyes, because I would probably burst into flames from humiliation. I’m such a crybaby!

-Are you ok? She asks, speaking softly, her voice sweet like honey.

-Yeah…

An awkward silence follows. Then, she takes my hand in hers.

-I’m sorry for the way I reacted, she says. That wasn’t nice. I just…I just don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, ever. I hate this stupid holiday.

-I didn’t know…

-I know, she adds, and I should’ve told you. I shouldn’t have assumed you knew I hated it. I’m sorry I made you upset, and injured you by doing so.

I nod, not sure what to say.

-Hey! she says, placing her hand under my chin and turning my face towards hers, so that I stop avoiding looking into her eyes. It was really sweet what you did. I’m really sorry I reacted like this.

I nod again.

-You know, she adds, it doesn’t mean that I don’t love you.

At these words, I feel my eyes widen to the size of two dollar coins and all the air inside my chest leave in an instant. She smiles at me, knowing perfectly what she just said.

-You love me? I ask, in a small voice.

-I do, she says. I love you, Elliot.

I lean in and kiss her, smiling at the same time. She almost falls down the couch and starts laughing.

-I love you, I say when pulling away from our kiss.

She stops laughing and just stares at me, smiling.

-You know, I say, the presents I got you, I would’ve bought them for you anyway. This was just an excuse to buy you things. But if you really don’t want them, I can return them.

-You’re adorable, she says. Of course I want them! But because they come from you, not because they are Valentine’s Day gifts!

-Ok, I say. Then open them!

She smiles, gets up and comes back with the bag full of gifts. She starts opening presents, which are just a bunch of little things, like a notebook with music notes on top, a candle inside a really nice metal box, a little wooden box that is actually a daisy, a book she told me she wanted a few weeks ago, and a lot of candy and chocolate!

-Thank you, these are all really nice!

She kisses me, and my heart starts beating so fast inside my chest.

-I feel bad for not getting you anything, she says.

-You already got me something.

She knows I’m referring to her saying “I love you” earlier. She smiles, leans in, and whisper these four little words against my lips, before kissing me.

-Elliot, I love you.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stop smiling now!

Images obtained from:

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/1200×630/format/…

https://78.media.tumblr.com/d10359cc4689792a155631e01dab1350/tumblr_nuew…

http://78.media.tumblr.com/d04450a9c74afb7a784f508734a78639/tumblr_p2hyz…

Born and raised in the province of Québec, I'm a second year Education major at McGill University. I've been writing since I was 10 years old, and I hope to publish a book someday, hopefully before I'm 30. Proud member of the LGBTQA+ community, I mostly write fiction and romance, often inspired by my own life.