This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

In the progressive world of technology, the life of a smartphone user is getting easier and more efficient every single day. There are apps to track your exercise progress, apps to teach you how to cook, and apps to manage your bank account. Why shouldn’t there be apps for your life at school? Whether it’s note-taking or the varsity team’s schedules, below are the top six applications every McGill student should have at their fingertips. 

1. The McGill University app, for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

Available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, this app has everything you need to navigate student life at McGill. Created through OOHLALA, having this app in your pocket will give you easy and instant access to course calendars, a map of campus and an option to ask an advisor a question. It doesn’t stop there. Input your McGill email information and you can add your timetable to the app, as well as due dates and reminders.

2. Evernote app, for Android

Created by Google for Android phones, Evernote is an incredible note-taking app with a clean dashboard and various editing options. You can write notes of any and all types – from lecture, readings or to prepare for projects, and THEN you can access them on any device. Ever forget your computer before lecture? Just type out the main points on your phone! You can also search across text, photos and PDFs, create notebooks, make to-do lists and prepare agendas. The believers have even coined the term “evernoting,” they love it so much.

3. Red Thunder McGill app, for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

Varsity athlete? Avid basketball fan? Do you like free stuff? If you answered yes to any or all of the above, you NEED this app. Join the McGill Red Thunder club (presented by SSMU) and attend any varsity game for free. You can find a full calendar of games and other events like tail-gaters, pep rallies and bus trips. This is a great app to enhance your time at McGill. Go Marlets!

4. McGill International Student Network app, for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

The McGill International Student Network is one of McGill’s largest student-run organizations and its aim is to connect international students to each other and to the city of Montreal. Everything offered for students from outside of Canada can be found in this app – language classes, movie nights or nights out in the city.

5. Google Drive app, for Android, MacBook, or PC

I’m sure you’ve been warned that sometimes, computers just don’t do what they’re supposed to. It’s not just a myth – students have their work wiped from their computers all the time! Not to mention, computer theft is a real issue on our campus and many others. Although you may lose an expensive piece of technology, make sure you DO NOT lose all of your hard, academic work at the same time and download Google Drive. Depending on the mode of use, you can stream any documents straight from your computer to the Google Drive, where they will safely remain in the interwebs. At least your notes will still be accessible from any computer or phone.

6.   Hashtads app, for iPhone

HerCampus McGill got a chance to speak with Ryan Kates, the Head of Business Development for “Hashtads,” and he gave us the low-down on the app. “It allows users to receive discounts at various restaurants in the McGill community, such as Pizza Navona and Suite 88. All they have to do is simply share a picture on Facebook or Twitter and claim their discount,” Ryan explained. A map of the community surrounding the McGill campus can be found when you open the app, and each black marker designates a participating company. When you get to the restaurant, scan the QR code displayed inside, share it and you’re good to go.

Images obtained from: 

http://www.thestar.com/life/technology/2013/09/02/great_apps_for_backtos…

http://assets.hansgrohe.com/assets/global/hg_iphone-app_start-app_730x41…

Aspiring writer