samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 13 Types of People You’ll See At The Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Midterm season has a way of bringing out the many different sides of people. This means that if you’re a frequent library-goer, you’re bound to see an interesting mix of studiers tackling their papers and lecture slides. While some of these characters are entertaining, others are just downright annoying.

1. The professional procrastinator.

Sure they may have carried all of their textbooks to the library, but that doesn’t mean they’re going to use them. Each time you look at this student they’re either cruising through Facebook or playing Candy Crush. They’re definitely not getting anything done, so why did they even bother to come?

2. The one who won’t stop talking.

You have never wished you could sew someone’s mouth shut more than when you met this fellow studier. They won’t stop talking– whether they’re gossiping with their friend or reading their essay out loud. Sometimes they forget what it means to whisper, but you wish they’d just forget the route to the library.

3. The couple.

In theory, it seems cute for two lovebirds to study together, but it’s not that way in person. You didn’t realize how much PDA bothers you until you encountered the library couple. Whether they’re playing tonsil hockey or simply snuggling while reading from the same textbook, it’s downright annoying (and sometimes even disgusting). At least it might make you appreciate the single life. 

4. The one who always leaves their things.

Unless we’re in the thick of finals, chances are you won’t have too much of an issue finding a study spot. But there’s always that one person who leaves all of their things as though their spot is the only spot left in the library. This studier will be gone for hours at a time, but will leave everything from their books, to notes, to a half empty coffee mug on their desk. I guess they’re not scared someone is going to steal their chemistry notes.

5. The sleeper.

This is the person who treats the library as their own private bedroom. They have either turned three chairs into a functioning bed or are uncomfortably sleeping with their head on a desk as they cuddle their scarf blanket. You don’t know what they do during the night, but you have a feeling it’s more than a chill night-in with Netflix.  

6. The coffee addict.

This studier has three large, empty coffee cups sitting on their desk and they’re about to get up to grab another. You can’t count on one hand how many coffees they’ve downed that day or how much money that must cost. But, then again, sleep is your last priority during midterm season, so can you really blame them?

7. The one who always asks you to watch their things.

First it was a bathroom break. Then a coffee run. Then they needed to Skype their mom. Sooner or later you’ll meet the student who always needs you to watch their stuff and they’re not always considerate about it. You’ll have a tough choice to make when your class is in five minutes and they haven’t returned from their 15 minute smoke break.

8. The Foodie.

If you thought studying made you hungry, wait until you meet the library foodie. This is the student who brings almost all the contents of their fridge with them in their backpack. They’re always munching on something tasty, and chances are it’s making you want to take a food break ASAP. Plus, the sound of them biting their carrot sticks is the most annoying thing ever. 

9. The mature student.

At first you couldn’t tell if this person was a student or a professor, but several trips to the library confirmed that this individual has a horrible midterm schedule just like you. You’ll find it a bit weird that someone so much older is ‘hanging out’ where all us youngsters do, but then you’ll realize we’re all suffering through the same thing. 

10. The one who never goes home.

You swear this person has been wearing the same sweater for the past three days. They’re always sitting in the same spot, with the same textbooks, and in the same clothes. They’re always there when you come to the library, and they’re still there when you leave– come to think of it, you’ve never actually seen them exit the library. You’re not sure whether to admire their dedication or worry for their sanity.

11. The Fashionista.

You don’t even like to wear heels on fancy occasions, so you’re not sure how this student is wearing them to the library. There is always one student who is dressed to the nines, even though they’re pulling an all-nighter in the library just like you. While you thought leggings and a hoodie were a decent combination, their outfit makes you look like your mom in the ‘70s (and not in a good way).

12. The sicky.

In between their constant (and incredibly annoying) sneezing, coughing, and sniffling, you’re not sure how you haven’t gotten sick yet. No matter where you sit in the library, there will always be one sick student who should have spent the day in bed. While you get that everyone needs to study, you wish sick students would stay away from the library until they’re better.

13. The one with their clique.

The more time you spend in the library, the easier it becomes to spot ‘library cliques.’ These are the people who travel in packs at the library. They all sit together, come and go for study breaks together, and probably discuss their material together in the quiet section of the library. Not to mention, they’re notorious for saving seats for their besties who aren’t coming for another hour or two. You don’t understand how they can be productive when they’re all so distracted by each other.

Studying is never fun, no matter who you are. If we all respect the library rules (and yes, that means no talking #2), we can make studying more enjoyable, or at least more productive. Good luck with your midterms and stay strong, collegiettes!

Featured Image:

http://montrealgazette.com/opinion/letters/letter-open-access-journals-a…

Alexandra is in her fourth and final year at McGill University, studying Joint Honors Political Science and Philosophy with a minor in Sexual Diversity Studies. She is a self-described coffee addict and Netflix junkie. Alexandra is passionate about sassy comebacks, collecting mason jars, and her hair straighenter. In her spare time she enjoys binge watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and shopping as a sport. Follow her sarcastic pursuits on Twitter @AlmostAlexandra and her obsession with filters on Instagram @alexandrasakellariou.