This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Floral? For Spring? Not so groundbreaking this year. The rainy season is now upon us, which requires a deviance from most knitted outerwear—sorry! Luckily, top fashion designers were a little more down-to-earth this year when piecing together the nation’s wardrobe.

1.     Button-down maxi dresses

The versatility of this trend is what makes it so appealing. Dress it up with some heels and a nice handbag, or dress it down with some high tops (especially if Kanye West is your aesthetic.)

2.     Gingham

Note that this pattern is different from plaid (which is dedicated to fall,) and it’s characterized by small checks. The most common place to find gingham is on button-ups, but this season it can be found everywhere: dresses, pants, skirts, and shoes. Everything is a go.

3.     Black and White

Finally this contrast isn’t just for winter. Wearing an outfit dedicated to these two contrasting shades will have you feeling like you’re strutting down the streets of NYC. Blue and white is also a color scheme biggie.

4.     Kimono-style Trench Coats

Long, lightweight, silky, and belted are all things to look for when picking out your most fashionable coat of the season. While this coat will practically look good with anything in your closet, it pairs especially well with shorts, skirts, and culottes.

5.     Loose Denim

Boyfriend jeans are great all year round, but the fact that this specific style is in for spring is one of the most exciting styles thus far.

Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.