This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Name: Dexter Shyy

Major: (Ad Hoc) Exercise and Wellness

Graduation Year: August 2017

Hometown: Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Her Campus (HC): Why did you come to Marywood?

Dexter Shy (DS): Nutrition program, and basketball.

HC: Why did you choose your major?

DS: I was tired of being in school.

HC: How long have you been playing basketball? 

DS: Competitively, 12 years.

HC: What is it like being a captain of a college team?

DS: Challenging. It’s a time commitment and my job is to motivate a group of guys for one common goal. I also need to set an example. Being the oldest guy on the team, I’m looked up to by the guys. Being a two year captain is also a lot of pressure. Honestly, I was a captain at HS Junior college. It’s all I know. It’s just normal.

HC: What made you love basketball?

DS: probably my older sister when I was a kid I played football. My sisters were basketball and track stars. They were always trying to get me to play basketball. I was always asked to rebound for my sister.  

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

DS: Hopefully, I’ll be a head coach in high school or college. The next year will form that. I want to coach high school and help form these guys. I want to prepare these guys for the next level. I want to teach these guys the things I didn’t learn. My coach prepared me for the next level of basketball, but I want to prepare these guys for college. That would be gratifying and humbling.

HC: What is your favorite sport to watch and who is your team?

DS: College basketball or professional football. My all-time favorite team is the Cleveland Browns

HC: If you could go anywhere in the world, right now, where would you go?

DS: Egypt or South Africa. 

HC: Dunkin or Starbucks?

DS: Dunkin. Hands down. That is not a question. 

I'm a New Hampshire girl living in a Pennsylvania world. Lover of Harry Potter, the New England Patriots, and my bed. I think that about covers it.
Alexandra Goebelbecker is a senior Advertising and Public Relations Major with a Comprehensive Social Science Minor. She co-founded Her Campus Marywood in April 2015 with McKensie Curnow. She makes up 1/2 of political column, Back to Back with co-author, Anna Notchick. In addition she is an intern at Condron Media, Student Activities Shadow, President of service sorority, Alpha Sigma Psi, Vice President of Marywood's Chapter of PRSSA and AAF, and LYM Campus Crew Member. Additionally she is a former  HC Campus Expansion Assistant and current High School Program Mentor.  Her passions include pop culture, popcorn and politics.   For more of Alexandra's Work: https://alexandrajgoebelbecker.wordpress.com