Marywood Staff Spotlight: Meet Deanna Garber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Meet Deanna! She is a Dunmore native and  an admissions counselor who helps students discover if Marywood is the place for them.

Name: Deanna Garber

Hometown: Dunmore, PA

Her Campus (HC): “So Deanna, what do you do at Marywood?”

Deanna Garber (DG): “I’m an undergraduate admissions counselor.”

HC: “What made you want to become an admissions counselor?”

DG: “I absolutely loved college and I believe that education is power. It was very important for me to be part of the college search process for other students. I was very drawn to all the different roles that you can play in Admissions. My job is different every single day. I had a very strong mentor, Sandra Feather, that inspired me to get into Admissions.”

HC: “How would you describe your job to someone who has never heard of it?”

DG: “It is a very dynamic position that forces me to wear multiple hats a day, I am the first line of contact between the university and the student.

HC: “You also work closely with some of the students at Marywood, what is that like?”

DG: “It is wonderful and it’s my favorite part of my job. I say all the time that we took the best kids in the world and placed them at Marywood, I love interacting with them and learning from them too”

HC: “What is one thing you miss about college?”

DG: “I loved learning so studying and the naps”

HC: “Favorite store to shop at?”

DG: “Forever 21”

HC: “Current TV show you are obsessed with?”

DG: “I recently binged all of shameless and I am OBSESSED with the Gallagher family.”

HC: “Celebrity crush?”

DG: “I am one of this people that falls madly in love with fictional characters because of their personalities from TV shows/movies. So, I have a lot of fictional character crushes but not one celebrity crush lol. They range from Lip Gallagher in ‘Shameless’ to Nathan Scott in ‘One Tree Hill’ to Thomas Shelby in ‘Peaky Blinders’.”

HC: “Where is the best place to eat around here?”

DG: “Cara Mia’s, hands down.”

HC: “What is your favorite thing to do to unwind after a long day of work?”

DG: “I love to go the gym and strength train after work. It really allows me to leave work at work and get out any frustrations from the day in a healthy way. I also love to binge Netflix and just hang out in my apartment, so cozy!”

HC: “Dunkin or Starbucks?”

DG: “Starbucks!”

Senior, Hospitaltiy Management and Marketing major from Potomac, MD. I love guac, sleeping, and eating.  Twitter: @liasohl   Intagram: @lia.sohl