Marywood Celebrity: Esperanza Gutierrez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

By: Caytie Castells

Whether it was behind a camera or behind the help desk, anyone that goes to Marywood has seen Esperanza somewhere around campus. Thankfully she made time in her busy schedule to sit down and answer a few questions that we had for her…

Name: Esperanza Gutierrez

Major: Communications/ Broadcast Journalism

Graduation Year: 2017

Hometown: Harpursville New York

Her Campus (HC): Why did you choose to come to Marywood University?

Esperanza Gutierrez (EG): I chose Marywood because I come from such a small high school and I liked Marywood’s close-knit community, it feels very homey to me.

HC: What type of things are you involved in on campus?

Just to give a taste of just how much Esperanza actually does on campus, she actually needed to pull out a list on her phone because it’s too many things to recall from memory.

EG: I’m a member of the news package team for TVM News, Assistant Community News Editor for the Wood Word, a writer for the online website “The Odyssey”, the Programs Director for the 91.7 VMFM Radio station, and a help desk assistant at the library.

HC: What is your favorite moment from your time at Marywood?

EG: My favorite moment at Marywood was when I was able to finally be on TV, to gain that experience. That sounds educational, but I was really excited about that.

HC: McGowan or Naz?

EG: McGowan.

HC: What is your favorite thing to get there?

EG: My favorite thing there… Well all the food has changed but my favorite thing to get is definitely a cheeseburger with a Chocolate F’real and french fries.

HC: If you could change one thing about the world, what would you change?

EG: If I could change one thing about the world it would be that all college students would have the opportunity to receive a free education.

HC: What is your dream job?

EG: My dream job is to become a news anchor for a well-known news station.

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

EG: I see myself working as a news reporter for a smaller TV network branch.

HC: Who is your biggest role model? And why?

EG: My mom, because she is very strong, hard-working, passionate, and positive.

HC: What is your favorite movie, TV show, and what are you currently binge-watching on Netflix?

EG: Well, my favorite movie is The Devil Wears Prada, my favorite TV show is Pretty Little Liars, and I’m binge-watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix.

HC: Are you a cat or dog person?

EG: Dogs, all the way.

HC: What is your favorite song to sing karaoke to?

EG: Um, well I have a hard time memorizing songs, so it would have to be a song I know the words to… “All Night Longer” by Sammy Adams, it’s my jam.

HC: What is one fun fact about yourself?

EG: I can hold my breath underwater for two minutes. I’m actually part mermaid.

McKensie is a senior at Marywood University majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Marywood which she co-founded in April 2015 with Alexandra Goebelbecker. McKensie also serves as a blogger for Frame Your Future, an anchor for TV-Marywood, Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Wood Word, and captain for Marywood's cheerleading squad.