A Love Letter To HIMYM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Dear How I Met Your Mother,

I wanted to take this time to write to you before you are removed from Netflix. You are one of the greatest shows ever created and aired. When we were first introduced, I was skeptical. Many friends told me how funny, entertaining, and lighthearted you are, but I was still hesitant. I wasn’t hooked until my roommate (shoutout to Megan McDonald) forced me to sit down and watch just one episode. I finished Season One in two days and didn’t stop there. You made me forget about all the bad things going on in my life – all the stress with school and all the negative thoughts I was thinking. You brought me joy and happiness and made me cry tears of joy. I loved you and was so sad after the series finale. Even though you had the worst ending in the history of endings, you still taught me amazing life lessons and to never give up on love. Thank you for changing my life.

Dear Barney,

Get ready for my love letter because it is going to be LEGEND – wait for it hope you aren’t lactose intolerant (like me) – DARY. You have provided me with so much laughter and taught me to never be without a glass of scotch. Your love of suits confused and concerned me at times, but I liked that you were passionate about something, even if it was something strange. “Nothing Suits Me Like A Suit” redeemed Season 5 when I thought it was going downhill. You taught me to live life to the fullest and always do the most obscure things on the planet to make every night LEGENDARY. I really wish you and Robin stayed together because she is terrible for Ted and perfect for you. Becoming a father in the end was a good ending for you because it helped you to finally grow up. I know you will always be a little kid at heart and that is why I love you.

Dear Marshall,

You were my favorite character in the world. You provided the light-hearted moments when the show was getting awkward or serious. You and Lily set the bar extremely high for relationships by finding a love that lasted through all the good and the bad times. Your love for the Loch Ness Monster, paranormal activity, pancakes, and Bigfoot made you so unique and weird. I still have no clue how you became a judge or a lawyer, but I guess anything can happen. I still know your password to see if you passed the bar exam. Your catchy song is still stuck in my head “Apple Orchard Banana Cat Dancer 8663.” I love you more than Lily does.

Dear Ted,

What else is there to say besides “god damn, why did it take you so long to find Tracy?” You made us wait 9 long seasons just for her to die at the end??? You had more patience than anyone I have ever met. I could never date as many people as you did just to find the one. The best lesson you taught me was to never give up on love. You never gave up. Even when you almost moved to Chicago, instead you found one more ounce of patience and stayed in NYC to find the one. I have to ask, why the heck did you end up choosing Robin? You knew she belonged with Barney. I knew she belonged with Barney. The whole world knew she belonged with Barney. You took me on the craziest emotional roller coaster but I couldn’t imagine the show without it. Thank you for teaching me more life lessons than my mom.

Dear Robin,

First of all, can we go to the mall together? Also, what is it like being from Canada? Is that even a real place? You joined the friend group semi-late, but nothing would be the same without you.  Thanks for bringing the drinking game “But Umm” to the world. It is a better drinking game then beer pong or kings could ever be. Why did you hate Patrice so much? She helped you and Barney get together. Also, taking a whole season to get married? That was a little much, even for you and Barney. I still love that Ted knew all the ways to make you distracted when you were mad and that there was a class held all about you. Thank you for being a secret Canadian pop star who sang absolutely terrible but catchy songs.

Dear Lily,

Not trying to be mean or insult you, but you were my least favorite character on the show. You bugged me so so much. Did you really need to change your hair so many times each season? Like, pick one hairstyle please. Regardless of my feelings towards you, your love for Marshall made me believe that true love does exist. You always knew when something was wrong and inspired me to ask my friends “where’s the poop?” I wanted all your clothes but could never understand how you afforded all those designer pieces on a teacher’s salary. You taught me never to give up on my friends because you believed in everyone, so for that I thank you. Even though I do not like you so much, the show would not be the same without you.

Netflix, please do your best to keep How I Met Your Mother. It is comedy gold, and in my personal opinion, better than Friends.

Senior, Hospitaltiy Management and Marketing major from Potomac, MD. I love guac, sleeping, and eating.  Twitter: @liasohl   Intagram: @lia.sohl