10 Self Care Activities You Can Do In 20 Minutes or Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

In honor of Self Love week, here are 10 self care activities you can do in 20 minutes or less!

1. Meditate/Deep Breathing

There are endless articles and sources on the benefits of meditating and deep breathing.  We recommend to inhale for 7 counts, hold you breathe for 4 counts, and exhale for 8 counts over a 2 to 4 minute span.  This breathing exercise helps to calm your whole body.

1. Take a Walk

Luckily, there are many beautiful places to walk in NEPA.  Some of my favorites are Lake Scranton, Nay Aug, and of course beautiful downtown Scranton.

1. Yoga

Yoga helps to work your mind and body.  Take 20 minutes to do a few yoga positions that will help to stretch your muscles and relax you.  My top five poses are Legs Up the Wall, Knees to Chest, Corpse, Child’s Pose, Cat’s Pose.

1. Listen to Music

Take 20 minutes to put on your favorite party station and have a dance party or to put on some yoga radio and relax on your floor.  Any type of music that you find enjoyable and relaxing will do!

1. Make a To Do List

Sometimes we all feel like our lives are moving at 100 mph and we cannot stop long enough to think.  Take 10 to 20 minutes to organize your day into simple to do list.  You will also feel accomplished when you cross off all of your tasks.

1. Take a Shower

This sounds like an odd self care activity, but it is my personal favorite.  Sometimes when I have cluttered and stress thoughts at the end of the day I take a long hot shower while listening to relaxing music.  It gives me 20 minutes all to myself!

1. Call a friend just to say Hi

In our busy and fast paced lives it is sometimes hard to reach out and connect with our loved ones.  Take 15 minutes to call your mom, grandmother, best friend from home, or sorority sister and just say hi and ask how they are doing.  

1. Paint your Nails

This activity is great for self care because it gives you something to focus on and relax while doing and you get to have pretty nails at the end!

1. Technology Break

Sometimes we all need to turn off our laptops, phones, tablets, etc and disconnect for a while.  Take 20 minutes to turn your phone and laptop off to read a book or lay in bed.

1. Eat a Healthy Snack

Our bodies require nutritious and delicious food to perform its best.  Take a 10 minute break to make a healthy snack like apples with nut butter or celery with cream cheese.  This way you feed your body and soul!

*Cover photo taken from: https://healthylivingdaily.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/deep-breathing…

Brooke Ackerman is an Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, and Special Education major at Marywood University in Scranton, PA. Brooke serves as Marywood's Her Campus Senior Editor. Her hobbies include making awful jokes, cooking, and starting Netflix shows at 1am.