emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate Gift Guide for Everyone on Your List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you spend weeks just agonizing about what you are going to get your loved ones for the holidays. Hand-made or store bought? Should I just go with a gift-card or is that too impersonal? There are only so many ways you can protect yourself when faced with the dreaded question “So, what did you get ____ this year?”  Crazy stumped? You’ve come to the right place.

The Guy:  If you didn’t already know, guys are incredibly difficult to shop for. It is even more of a slippery slope depending on how long you have been dating. 

For your new guy: Whether you have just started dating or it’s been a few months, you’re still in the newish stages of getting to know one another completely. A fun gift with a bit of a personal twist is the safest way to tell someone you’re thinking about them without creating too much pressure on the relationship.

• To Buy: Is there something he talks non-stop about, such as music or a favorite movie? Play off of his interests and buy him a deluxe edition of his favorite CD or a novelty shirt of his favorite band or TV show. If you make sure that you’re focusing on what he likes and his interests, he’ll appreciate the effort that you took to find a gift that is truly him.

• To Make: A creative take on his favorite dessert with a favorite hobby. Food is the way to a man’s heart without being too forward or costly. It also shows you pay attention to what he likes and you care enough to make it memorable. 

For your long-term relationship: Been dating longer than 6 months? Consider yourself in a long-term relationship. You probably know a lot about them by now so it’s perfectly okay to get them a gift that is intimate and personal.

• To Buy: Something practical that he can use every day and think of you. There are a lot of ideas to this and it’s tricky to give just one suggestion. I highly recommend this website to find something that your guy will love!
  • To Make: There are a thousand different and thoughtful homemade gifts to give your guy. For my boyfriend, I made a “treasure chest” filled with wooden coins where I wrote what I loved about him on each one- it only took a few supplies at a craft store to make. He really loved it and still has it to this day. I highly recommend looking to Pinterest for amazing craft ideas.

For the “what are we”: This is a tricky one. If you don’t really know what you two are- whether you’ve been on a few dates or you’re friends with a bit more attached- sometimes it’s not required to get them a gift since it’s so unknown and there is not really a lot of stable ground to stand on. If you do decide to get something for them, make sure that it won’t put any strain on what you have with him, such as concert tickets that are for months from now. Who knows where you’ll be in a few months, anyway?

• To Buy: Buying something when you are “unknown” with a guy is a bit intimidating but Cameron* from George Mason University says “food is the most universal thing to give, every guy will appreciate quality food”. 
  • To Make: A playlist of music you both have in common. It’s thoughtful, yet not over-the-top. 

[pagebreak]

Your Parents/Parental Figures: I can safely say that your parents will appreciate anything that you get them, yet that doesn’t make the process any easier. When it comes to parents/parental figures there are a few things to think about: What are their favorite things? What do they use the most? Would they like a sentimental gift or a gift that they could use every day? Here are a few ideas:

Practical:

• To Buy: I came across this awesome pen and felt that it was perfect for a multi-tasking parent. 

• To Make: This amazing blog post shows you how to create personalized paperweights that your parent can use in the office and at home.

Personal:

• To Buy: Wall Decorations, quotes on canvases, picture frames with your family, pretty much anything that has meaning will have them feeling joyous.

• To Make: A Letter. I know it sounds simple, but sometimes all a parent needs to hear is how much they are appreciated and how much you love them. It may be a simple gesture to you, but it will mean the world to them. Don’t be afraid to get as creative as possible (nostalgic pics, anyone)?

[pagebreak]

Your Friends: They know you at your best and have seen you at your worst. Your friends have helped you through so much, it’s time to give back.

For your childhood best friend: She knows you better than anyone, and even if you aren’t as close as you used to be (or even if you are) there are tons of memories to look back on with each other. 

• To Buy: A collection of pictures in pillow form. Try this website exclusively for Instagram photos!
  • To Make: After years of friendship, you must have a thousand memories stored in old photo albums or on Facebook. Put those memories to good use and make a storybook of your friendship, starting from the beginning.

For your new friend: You connected at a mutual friend’s party or a new class this semester and hit it off immediately. Most likely, you bonded with each other over common interests, so keep that in mind when you’re deciding what to get them.

• To Buy: Tickets to see your favorite musician together! Look out TaySwift!
  • To Make: A DIY Sharpie mug that she can use for her morning coffee routine… with a personal twist of course.

For your best friend: They’ve been there with you in your darkest times and you can’t imagine your life without them. Treat them right this holiday season!

• To Buy: This friendship bracelet from Alex and Ani has a meaning of support and loyalty. Exactly what your girl is. Indulge her. 

• To Make: DIY gifts are the best, especially when it comes to your best friend. Again, Pinterest is the absolute best for crafty gift ideas that they will love. Example? This gem.

Even More Ideas:

For your roommate… A kit that will help her in a pinch

For your favorite professor… This gem

For your athletic friend… An ultimate workout kit

For your sister… ​This necklace

For your brother… This awesome shirt

Make sure that you have these websites handy every time you get stuck:

Etsy – handmade and unique

Personal Creations – a personal touch to your gifts

Groupon – discounted gift ideas

Pinterest – everything you need and more (especially DIY)

Uncommongoods – gifts you don’t find every day

Amazon (duh)

And if all else fails, a gift-card really isn’t that bad of an idea…