Life > Experiences

The Only (Ultimate) Workout You Need this Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Okay ladies, it’s that time of the year again, the time where you need to bust out that razor for spring harvest, whip out the tank tops and flip flops, and bust out that bikini. Are y’all feelin’ 100% bikini body ready?

I want to preface this article by saying that your bodies are perfect and beautiful and all you really need to do to get the perfect bikini body is by literally putting a bikini on your bangin’ bodies, whether you’re a size 2 or a size 12. But, if you’re trying to get a bit more fit, read on!

I personally love going to the gym for my two hours every day- I love lifting heavy shit and busting the calluses on my palms and building my body up. Once upon a time, however, I was afraid to go to the gym, so I developed a workout routine that I did in my dorm room each and every night. So, just for you, I put together a collection of my favorite dorm room exercises that I used, and I’m throwing in a recipe for my favorite post-workout treat in the world. You’ll thank me later!

(Before getting started, please make sure your muscles are warmed up- go running, stretch, do some jumping jacks, whatever you want to make sure you’re loosened up)

-Go through the sequence & repeat 2-3 times-

1.     15 Burpees

2.     20 pushups

3.     Tricep dips on chair

4.     20 commandos

5.     15 jump squats

6.     15 sumo squats

7.     20 alternating knee ups on chair

8.     20 scissor kicks

9.     20 ab bikes

10.  30 raised leg sit ups on chair (10 twisting to the right, 10 to the left, and 10 straight)

11.  30 mountain climbers (15 each leg)

12.  20 toe touches

13.  45 second plank (or shorter/longer depending on how long you can hold it).

Those are just a few of my favorite exercises to do at home, but ladies, it doesn’t matter how much you workout if you don’t nourish your body properly! You can do all the ab exercises in the world, but if you go back to the kitchen and eat nothing but ice cream, pizza and beer, you’ll never see any progress.

Drink water, eat your veggies and lay off the junk!

Okay, snacking is one of my favorite sports. I could win the gold medal in it, but, despite my multiple requests and countless complaints, it still isn’t an official Olympic game. Now, if you’re looking for a post workout snack to refuel, here’s my recipe for peanut butter protein power balls!

They may sound gross to you at first, but I promise, once you try them, you’ll thank me and love me and want to buy me drinks and put a ring on my finger.

Here’s the easiest variation…

• 2 cups Rolled oats
  • One-2 scoops protein powder (vanilla or chocolate is best for this, but whatever flavor tickles your fancy)
  • 2 spoonfuls nut butter of your choice (almond butter is my personal favorite)
  • Almond milk (as much as needed to make it gooey instead of powdery)
  • Cinnamon

If you’re feeling more adventurous add…

• Chia seeds
  • Flax seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Dark chocolate or butterscotch chips
  • Raisins
  • Pumpkin pie spice
  • Granola clusters

Mix everything together in a bowl, the texture should be a little thicker than cookie dough, but it’s up to your own personal preference. Roll the mix into little balls, like you would for regular cookies, and let them sit, or put them in the freezer if they’re a little gooier. That’s it! Super easy and super delicious. They’re perfect for a post workout snack, or to bring with you to class, or just to satisfy that craving for something sweet!

(YOU’RE WELCOME)

Photo Credits: Michaela Heckman