Can’t Cook? 5 Foolproof Thanksgiving Recipes Sure to Wow the Fam!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Is it seriously almost Turkey Day?! Although many of us, including me, are already in the “Holly Jolly” mood, we can’t forget the day of family, food, and thinking about all of life’s blessings. This year for Thanksgiving, I told my mom that I was determined to cook something; mind you, I am probably the worst cook you will ever meet. Easy mac and instant oatmeal are foods I am still in the process of trying to learn how to make properly. Embarrassing, I know. Hopefully I’ll have a culinary breakthrough this year and make something crazy delish, *fingers crossed!* If you are challenged in the kitchen like me, or if you’re looking for some fairly easy things to make for your family’s Turkey Day, then these recipes are for you! 

1.) Baked Apple Cider Donut Holes

The second I saw these on Pinterest, I obviously re-pinned them that instant, and then felt sad because they weren’t on a plate in front of me.  If you love apple cider and donuts, (which who doesn’t?!), then you HAVE to give these a try! These would be an awesome pre-Thanksgiving dinner breakfast treat to eat while watching my favorite thing of all time, the Macy’s parade!

2.) Maple Sweet Potato Cups

Personally, I think that sweet potatoes are wayyy higher up on the potato scale than regular potatoes. They’re apparently healthier for you too which is always much appreciated. These little ramekin sweet potato cups are not as complicated as they appear and are just too darn cute to pass up!

3.) Carrot Orzo

Since pasta is not traditionally served at Thanksgiving, this carrot orzo is a nice way to spice up your side dish table. The carrots thrown in also add a nice little autumn-esque “pop” of color to an otherwise bland looking dish. 

4.) Pilgrim and Cornucopia Cupcakes 

Cupcakes are one of the simplest things you can make for a Thanksgiving dessert item! It’s almost impossible to mess them up if you go with a boxed mix and pre-made icing. However, it tastes a bazillion times better if you have the time to make them from scratch. I also can’t get over how simple and cute the little decorations are! 

5.) Sparkling Apple Tea

Okay, so this technically isn’t something you can “cook” but it’s a refreshing take on apple cider and is pretty much a “throw stuff in a pot and go” kind of recipe. Perfect if you want to contribute something to the meal without getting your hands dirty! 

Did any of these recipes inspire you to take a stab at cooking this year? I know for sure I’ll be attempting one of them, (BIG emphasis on the word “attempt!”) See ya in the kitchen! 

Abigail is an MU junior majoring in fashion merchandising. She loves being a part of Her Campus and expressing her creativity through her love of writing. Additionally, she writes monthly editorials for College Fashionista, where she is a Style Guru. When she is not writing, you can find her singing, going hardcore preparing her dream wedding on Pinterest, reading Christian romance novels, and watching the most unrealistic reality television.