This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Once warm weather rolls around, it seems that everyone becomes concerned with attaining their “beach body.” However, there are tons of obstacles you’ll need to avoid. From busyness, to laziness, and naturally, unrealistic expectations, you’ll need to power through the madness to get to where you want. Like all things worth waiting for, it will take time, but you can do it!

Here are 5 tips to help you reach your goal!

1. Find a workout buddy.

Figure out if you are the type of person who needs a partner to help you keep on track. If so, surround yourself with positive people who will you work out with you. Your partner can be a friend, your significant other, a family member, or even a pet. A partner gives you someone to talk to, joke around with, and a pleasant distraction from the “burn” you feel when you’re at the gym or engaged in physical activity. Company helps! It’s much more enjoyable this way. Also, consider joining a work-out group or class.

2.  “Abs are made in the kitchen.”

Everyone wants abs, but they’re hard to get.  There is an old saying that is very true: “Abs are made in the kitchen.” If you want to live well and look good too, you have to control what you eat. If you eat garbage, then your body will show it. Yikes!  Learn about nutrition and apply what you’ve learned to your eating habits. Next, increase your physical activity. 

3. Overcome laziness and busyness.

There are two main reasons why people don’t work out. Either they are lazy or busy. (Or, both.) Of course, this hinders you from achieving what you consider your “ideal look.” So, be an overachieving nerd and plan out your schedule. Decide when you’ll exercise, what you’ll do, and for how long. This will help you stay focused. Look ahead. Plan. Be consistent.

4. Remember your goal.

Most often, a vision precedes success. Successful people have a vision giving them insight into how to achieve success. What do you want exactly? Come up with specific fitness goals and decide how you will achieve them. Keep your eyes on the prize!

5. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

Tangible results don’t always show up right away. This often depends on your body type: ectomorph, endomorph, or mesomorph. The ectomorph body type is naturally lean and delicate. The endomorph body type is soft and round, with a high proportion of fat tissue. The mesomorph body type is muscular and compact. It’s also possible to fall into multiple categories because everyone is different. So, when you start getting into fitness, it’s important to take this into consideration. 

The other factors are consistency in hitting the gym, your genetics, and, as mentioned, how well you’re eating. The ultimate pursuit should be health, happiness, and the best Y-O-U, not looking like a twiggy supermodel. Some women are naturally thin, based on their frame and body type, so for them, it’s considered healthy. Not everyone will look like this. So, you need to keep in mind what is genuinely natural for you, and not compare your body type to other women. Comparisons will ultimately result in unhappiness and a lack of personal satisfaction.

Ideally, starting healthy habits earlier in life is much better than later. When you’re younger, you see results more quickly and create lifelong diligence for keeping this lifestyle. So, start your fitness journey this summer, and work towards achieving your beach body!