Before You Upload that Pic: The New Revenge Porn Law

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Maryland House of Delegates member Jon Cardin speaks to UMD students. Photo by Stephanie Natoli/The Diamondback

If you are an angry ex looking to expose the naughty photos of your once lover I would think twice before clicking that share button in the state of Maryland.

As of Oct. 1 revenge porn has become illegal in the state of Maryland.  

The law states:

“ Person may not intentionally cause serious emotional distress to another by intentionally placing on the internet a photograph, film, videotape, recording, or any other reproduction of the image of the other person that reveals the identity of the other person with his or her intimate parts exposed or while engaged in an act of sexual contact.”

The law, sponsored by Maryland House of Delegates member Jon Cardin, will hold true in cases where the other person did not express consent to putting the photo on the Internet and they thought it would be kept private. A violator could go to jail for up to two years and pay a fine up to $5,000.

Cardin, who has made an effort to focus on the safety of children, women, and vulnerable groups throughout his career visited the University of Maryland on Oct. 16 to discuss the new bill.

“You destroy peoples lives and relationships instantly and forever when you post something online,” Cardin said.

Cardin is happy that the bill passed, unanimously at that, but said that the intent part of the law was a compromise. He believes that a violator should be prosecuted regardless if they had intent to cause emotional distress.

He warned to the audience of students, many involved in the Maryland Law Programs, that people who think the issue is over are wrong. He believes with the ease of putting things on the Internet instantaneously and new technology to come, that people are going to realize they need to make a difference.

Cardin asked the audience what could have potentially come up in the discussion of this bill and why people would oppose it. He admitted to the questions the bill does not address and the potential grey areas that could be an issue when a case goes to trial but he still backs it 100 percent.

“This is not the perfect solution but what makes me smile is that people will think twice before pushing that button,” Cardin said.

Syndy Shilling, director of the Student Legal Aid office at UMD, has seen the stress of students who come in looking for guidance after their ex-boyfriend posted a picture of them. She wants students to know that nothing is anonymous and everything can be traced.

So the next time you screen shot that snapchat nude or add that dirty pic to your camera roll remember the consequences extend beyond being a bitter ex and can land you in jail.

Hey! My name is Jenna and I am a junior journalism major and art history minor at the University of Maryland. I am from New Jersey and love all things fashion and beauty. Find out more about me and see more of my writing on my blog http://jennariquelle.wordpress.com/ 
Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.