This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With college football season already in full swing and basketball season on the horizon, excitement and school pride is sweeping campuses across the nation. Some are even being graced with the glitz of Hollywood or making social media waves with their creative demonstrations of spirit.

But what about in the Home of the Maryland Terrapins?

Maryland is a Division 1A school in the Big 10, yet sometimes atmosphere in the fan section can be lackluster. Sure, homecoming was interrupted with torrential downpour and cold temperatures, but what about Maryland Madness? The night of basketball’s season opener at the Xfinity Center was noticeably empty. Students were even tweeting about being completely clueless the event taking place.  

Homecomings, and Madness events are supposed to be fun. There are still memes being made from Drake’s 2014 appearance at the University of Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness. The University of Florida was able to score artists like Passion Pit and Waka Flocka Flame for their homecoming concert. Neighboring Bowie State even got a hold of Gucci Mane. And those are just a few of the special guests that performed at college events this year. The closest thing Maryland has had in recent years was when the then-new artists Rae Sremmurd surprised guests at Maryland Madness in 2014.  

With so many empty seats at games, maybe people are discouraged to attend an event at a school that is perceived as not having enough school spirit. But can you blame the lack of enthusiasm? Here we are the school that originated the tradition of  “madness “ events in the 70s but we can’t even get the gym to full capacity.

The school has tried to get more students out to games by offering exclusive shirts, themed games, holding a university-sponsored tailgate, and even selling alcohol at games. But once the shirt is in hand, and the alcohol kicks in, there’s nothing left for the Maryland spectator.

Maryland is lucky to be in the same vicinity as the Nation’s capital, home to one of the only D1A football program within the beltway. So what is missing from major Maryland sporting events that’s keeping students from fully immersing themselves in the atmosphere?

With three more home football games left and basketball starting in the next month, let’s bring back our Maryland Pride and show the Big 10 who we are.

Brooke Giles

Maryland '18

Brooke is from Clinton, Maryland and is a senior at the University of Maryland, studying Broadcast Journalism. A self-proclamied Pop Music enthusiast, she loves everything about music especially when it involves Beyoncé and hopes to work in radio or for a record company.
My name is Meghan Moriarty. I am one of the editor-in-chief's of Her Campus Maryland.