What is Men’s Activism?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

“What is men’s activism?”

That is a question we should be asking ourselves, and if you are like me (completely unaware that some men are fighting for their…rights) then I’ll help break this down for you.

Men’s Rights Movement (MRM) is a social movement created because men in the early 1970s felt the issue of male disadvantage, discrimination and oppression was increasing due to movements like feminism.

Are you confused? I surely was when I found out a guy I know is a male activist. He proudly talked to me about the movement and why men are facing disadvantages. The entire time he felt it necessary to educate me on this movement I was dumbfounded.

How was I supposed to respond? So I did the best thing I could, and researched it.

Men’s activists fight for their rights in areas like divorce, domestic violence, education, and rape among other issues.

National Coalition for Men (NCFM), one of the MRM organizations created in Maryland, has a philosophy they stand for.

“Both legally and socially, society imposes a multitude of restrictive ‘shoulds’ on its individual members.” Their website continues on with, “the ‘shoulds’ developed over a long period of time, serve as a major vehicle for maintaining order.”

I already see a problem.

They’re arguing that the roles placed on society are used to maintain an order, an order they are trying to fight. What is feminism if not trying to take down patriarchal society? Why would they not support feminists and their goal in destroying the image placed upon groups?

Men should not be taught to be a “real man” as women should not be taught to be a “stay at home mom” (and God forbid she has a child, then she’ll probably lose her job).

Restrictive structure in society can only end if we fight together, and from the first paragraph of NCFM’s philosophy it seems like they want to fight stereotypes that are also socially constructed.

Men activists are also responsible for the “Don’t Be That Girl” campaign accusing women of false rape reports. When real research began to be conducted about false rape reports, the percentage was reported to be between 2 to 8 percent.

One of the largest studies available, British Home Office, was an analysis of 2,643 sexual assault cases reported to British police over a 15 period time, and out of those reports the police classified 8 percent as false.

But now let us take into account that some of those classifications were based on personal judgment. Like what? The basis of the victim’s mental status, inconsistent statements and drinking or drug use is all accounted for as well (The National Center for Prosecution of Violence Against Women).

For those who want to read about the study more, click here.

Now, how about the infamous question, “What were you wearing?” Despite the glaring problem of raping someone, we must always see if the woman asked for it. A discussion on Twitter in March about women who were sexually assaulted stated what clothes they were wearing.

Their answers ranged from pajamas to work clothes.

Were they asking for it?

Anyway back to the false report problem, if it only accounts for less than 10 percent than why are we not focusing about the many cases that go unreported because girls are afraid of the stigma that comes along with it? (Like being accused of falsely reporting)

But men activists are also fighting for valid causes as well like parental visitation, child custody and certain reproductive rights. These issues are serious and should be fought for, but because those activists are overshadowed by Internet blasting and sometimes hateful users who claim to be men’s activists it is hard for their cause to be recognized.

Though some other issues, they fight for I cannot defend.

Men activists are also up in arms about education, because there are 12 million women in college in comparison to 9 million men. “Where’s the discrimination now?” they may yell out.

But historically speaking have men been denied an education? Have they been forced to stay at home and fill the role of taking care of the kids while the husband brings home the income?

If they are so concerned about education for boys they should be investing in helping boys go to college. They should also realize that world wide boys are still more educated than girls.

Out of 163 million illiterate young people in the world females make up 63 percent. According to UNICEF there are more than 115 million people ages six to twelve year olds not in school and three fifths of them are girls.

Boys are sent to school, boys are seen as more valuable while girls are told to stay at home (let us not forgot that female infanticide is a problem).

Anyway after reading through certain MRM organizations history and beliefs I was still confused. They complain about their rights being taken away and yet the world is built on a patriarchal foundation.

Why are they fighting for the rights they haven’t lost, but women still have not gained?