This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

I know it sounds melodramatic to say I’m sad about the circumstances of my relationship when I share an amazing relationship with a great guy.  So I will say that I put myself here, and I recognize that some people have it worse.

That being said, let’s mourn over the negative aspects of my relationship anyway.  I am dating a boy who plays a Division 1 Sport in North Carolina.  I’ll spare you the name of his school in the assumption that you attend UMD as I do.  At this point, if you are at all aware of the athletic history of this school, you know which university he attends.

So, dating a college athlete.  Here’s where I find it can get tough:

1.      He devotes a lot of time to his sport.

You’re dating this great, athletically inclined, miracle of a man and you want to spend every waking moment with him.  But, you both have school.  And the sport that makes him so attractive is winning in the battle for his attention.  The solution?  Relationships are also built on the mundane, day-to-day activities.  Do anything together.  Even boring things are fun with someone you care about.

2.      At any point, his performance has the ability to ruin his day.

You call your boyfriend and he tells you he didn’t do well in practice.  You’re thinking, “That sucks, but it’s not that big of a deal.”  You’re apt to feel like giving him the “Don’t worry, be happy” line, but this isn’t the right approach.  Think of all the effort he’s put in to be the best and try to sympathize.  Be there for him in these moments.

3.      He gets tired.

It’s Friday night and you’re ready to go out and have a great time with your guy, but he’s exhausted and his perfect night is bed and Netflix.  Sometimes you’ll have to sacrifice your nights out, or just go with your girl friends.  He will acknowledge and appreciate the times you choose to stay in with him.

4.      You have to stay supportive.

You’re his number one fan whether you like it or not.  It’s an unwritten rule.  Go to his games and cheer him on.  You might not always love it, but he will and that’s what’s important.I often tell my boyfriend he sold his soul to his school.  And while it’s often a little difficult to work around his hectic schedule there are some great things about dating a guy who plays a sport.

Here are some of pluses:

1.      He is goal-oriented.

Whether it’s short-term or long-term your guy has ambition.  Sports generate and nurture discipline and determination.  These are admirable and appealing qualities.

2.      He has a FANTASTIC bod.

Okay so he has 4-hour workouts in the mornings, hour-long lifts in the evenings and this takes away from your time to talk or hang out.  But may I remind you that this means he is in such great shape. Muscles.  We are talking muscles.  Don’t deny you like muscles.  This also might motivate you to get your own butt to the gym.  If he can put in 30 hours a week you can go put in some.

3.      He rarely goes out.

Therefore, he rarely encounters other females who have also been drinking and are trying to encroach on your man’s personal space. Alright, maybe it’s a little ridiculous, but hey, who wants that?  If he ever goes out, it’s probably with you.

4.      He doesn’t do drugs.

Personally, I don’t find anything very attractive about drugs.  Bad things tend to follow drug use and effects on your body are arguably always detrimental.  Your            guy gets drug tested throughout the school year at unexpected intervals.  He is well educated on the undesirable and harmful effects of drugs and he recognizes      the threat they pose to the health and functionality of his body. This is a plus.  Thumbs up.  We like ‘em drug-free.

So there are the pros and cons.  Despite the occasional obstacles, do not give up on your college athlete.  Great relationships come in various forms, and none are perfect.  You have the ability to make the best of it!