What to Buy A Guy For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Mariah Carey might not want a lot for Christmas, but every guy in the world loves presents on the holidays.

But let’s face it; women have as hard of a time picking out gifts for men as men do for women. 
When it comes to holiday gift exchanges, believe it or not, it is often better to give then to receive.  This is where a few tips on what to get your boyfriend, brother or dad for the holiday could definitely come in handy.
For those with boyfriends or any sort of special guy in their life, buying tickets to events or taking him out for a nice dinner is the way to go.

“I hate when my girlfriend buys me a shirt that I don’t like because then I’m stuck wearing it,” said business major Andrew Schutzer.  “The non-tangible gifts are the way to go.”

For this reason, buying tickets to a concert or show is something that is an activity you both can share and enjoy, which also applies to the “good food” gift that could be a nice change from the repetitive college food chains.

When buying a gift for a brother or cousin, asking them what the best strategy is.  It’s not like having a boyfriend where the element of surprise is half the fun, it’s more of a situation where being told what to get makes both parties satisfied.

“My sister takes me shopping for the holidays,” said senior finance major Jake Fuchs.  “I get to pick out what I want and I don’t have to pretend that I like something she picked out.”
Lastly, the key to buying gifts for fathers is to differentiate it from a gift one would give to their parents collectively.

Buying household items or generic picture frames is not something that makes a dad feel special, but buying something they can use on their own is what they will truly appreciate.

Ideas in this category include sports equipment, gadgets, or even just the time of their kids to go somewhere and do something special.

“I got my dad tickets to The Steve Miller Band concert last year,” said senior agricultural economics major Sam Allen.  “He loved it and I got to go with him which made it even more fun.”

These ideas are solid examples of ways to avoid the “bad gift” part of the holiday and leave men satisfied with their presents.

If these don’t work, buying a watch for your boyfriend, a video game for your brother or a pair of pants for your father usually works too!

Photo Credit: Jason Brendler