This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Wes Brown

Year: Sophomore

Major: African American Studies

Position: Running back

Status: Single

Hi, Wes! So, I understand you’ve been playing for the Maryland Football Team since freshman year. When exactly did you start playing football? 

I started when I was about 7 years old, playing in the streets. I didn’t play officially until I was about 9, for the Old Time Gators. When I was younger, I couldn’t afford to play on the little leagues so I watched the kids in my neighborhood play at the field near my house. One day, one of the coaches approached me and asked if I wanted to play. I said, “heck yea!” 

So you basically got sponsored to play at the age of 9? That’s awesome! Would you say there was a defining moment for you in terms of wanting to pursue football as a professional career?

Back in high school, I started as running back against a rival team that used to always beat us. They were going for their sixth championship streak and we beat them. When we played them, I ran 160 yards — that was the hardest I’ve ever run in my life. What are the odds? It’s gotta be a sign, it was meant to be. I knew I wanted to play pro since I was little and at that point, I knew how to get there because I knew what it took.

That’s impressive. What’s your relationship like with your teammates? 

I’m the goofy guy. But I’m also the serious guy when it’s time to be serious. I’m adaptable. When we’re laughing and joking around, I can be funny and just make the guys think about other things. They’ll be like, “This guy’s crazy, where does this guy come up with this kind of stuff?” But when we need to be serious they’ll be like, “Damn, he always gets so mad.” It’s not about me getting mad, it’s about us being on task because we can be really good this year, we know where we can be. Why don’t we focus in when we need to focus then bullsh*t when it’s done? Then the day is over and we don’t have to worry about putting in the extra hour. 

So, would you say you get pretty serious when it comes down to playing?

Yeah. I’m not afraid to step on guys’ toes and tell them when they’re doing something wrong. But if a guy gets hurt and he’s over there just chilling or when a guy’s tired, I try to tell him “Alright now you’re out, so you have to be a team coach now.”  If you see someone doing something wrong, you have to tell them, encourage them. 

Wait, so you say this to the guys who are older than you too? Older guys don’t intimidate you?

I say this to everybody. I don’t hold my tongue for anybody.  

What made you choose to play for the Terrapins? Besides the cool-looking jerseys, of course.

Well, I wanted to go to Miami for a while so I could be closer to my aunt but when I met the coaches, they were cocky. I told them I wasn’t committing anywhere until after the Under Armour game that I played in and they said they needed a decision soon. I told them I wasn’t coming until after that game and if that wasn’t not soon enough for them then they were going to have to sign the next guy they planned on getting. They were like, “You do know we’re the University of Miami, right? We get guys every time.” And I said, “Well okay, you go ahead and do that.” I’m not going to go somewhere where they’re just being cocky. 

So what did you end up doing?

So I called all the teams that I was considering and told them that I was committing to Maryland. I wanted to call them and let them know, respectfully, so there were no misreads. The lining back coach from Miami was like, “You’re a really great dude, most guys don’t take the time to call and do that, I appreciate your honesty.” He was really cool. 

What was it about Maryland that stuck out to you?

Family. All the people that supported me from back in high school became family. So, I wanted all of them to see me play and come to my games as well as my family back home and my mom. That way, she would have no excuse for not coming to my games. It’s driving distance, she’s right there in Columbia and the rest of my family is in Baltimore. 

You guys practice every day, right? How do you find the time to balance all that with school?

Prioritize. I try to get my work done before games. When I have any kind of trouble meeting deadlines, I usually email the professors and let them know. They’re usually cool about it. 

What was one of your best and worst games? 

My worst game was in high school, junior year. We were on ESPN  and I broke my leg in the first quarter. A guy landed on me and I broke my fibula. I was out for six weeks. My best game was NC State, freshman year. That’s the game I came back after my shoulder injury. I had 121 yards on 20 carries and I was named the starter for the rest of the year after that.

You play in front of a crowd of over 50,000 people! Have you ever been nervous competing?

Not one time. 

If you could change one rule about football (besides being able to replay that last fumble), what would it be?

Allow one fight during every game, like they do in hockey. It’ll help get the frustrations out.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?

My youngest sister Taira. 

Would you say she’s your #1 fan?

Definitely. The way she supports me is different from anybody else. She comes to every game. If I found a fan club, it would be from her starting it. 

It seems like your family is a big part of your life. Is it safe to assume you’re pretty close to them? 

Yeah, I go home every weekend to see them. 

They live in Baltimore right? What do you do when you go home?

Be goofy. We go to the movies, I take them out, we go to the mall. Anything fun. 

On the days you’re in College Park, what do your weekends usually consist of?

I have a couple drinks. Ya know, drink beers watching the game. Other than that, I usually go home to hang out with my sister.

Moving onto some more  personal questions, How would you define yourself to the ladies?

I’m adventurous. I like to have fun.

So, would you say you’re looking for something serious?

If it comes, yeah.

Okay so what would an ideal date be like? You gotta let the ladies know!

My ideal date night? Um, I like to eat. I would take her out to dinner. If it’s a cool nice day, I would see nature. Maybe go to an aquarium or something like that. Just to see scenes, something different.

Do you have a type?

Loyal, that’s my type. You can have a type all you want but if you’re not loyal there’s no point in wasting time. 

Any celebrity crushes?

I would say, Shakira, Rihanna, Jessica Biel and Elena Gilbert — cause she bad.

Okay so, now some random “getting to know you” type questions. If you could pursue anything other than football what would you do?

I would be a motivational speaker. 

Favorite team?

Baltimore Ravens.

Go-to music?

R&B, hip hop, rap, music on my iTunes.

Career role models?

Ed Reed, free Safety for the Ravens. And Trey Hopkins, wide-receiver for the Bengals.

Boobs or butt?

Butt

Best advice you’ve ever gotten?

Treat others how you treat your mother because you wouldn’t want anyone disrespecting her so why do it to others!