Ways To Vamp Up Your Spring Semester!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Some students cannot wait to get back to school after a dragging four-week break, while others dread that first step back on campus. But whether you’re counting down the days until your return to College Park or savoring time at home, there’s a multitude of ways that you can make this semester better than all the others. And I don’t mean half-hearted New Year’s resolutions that never seem to amount to anything.

1. Get Active

Though it’s probably the most clichéd change that people pledge to make in the New Year, there’s some serious truth to the healing power of exercise. I don’t mean killer cardio to shed holiday weight (though that’s never a bad thing either). Simply incorporating exercise and activity into your daily life greatly reduces school-related stress, helps clear the mind, and releases endorphins, which brighten your mood. If you can pull it off, squeezing in a quick trip to the gym in the morning will improve your energy level and attitude throughout a long day of classes. If you really don’t have the time, try walking at a quickened pace to classes or taking the long walk home.

2. Find Your Books Early, and Make Some Extra Spending Money

Practically emptying your bank account to pay for books (that you may not even use) is the worst part of the semester. Though many students choose to rent text books because the cost is much less than buying them new, there is an advantage to buying your books. If you buy text books new, you have the opportunity to sell them back at the end of the semester. Book Holders, located right at the intersection of Route 1 and College Avenue, gives some of the best deals in College Park, and will take back most text books for close to sale prices. You can even go to BookHolders.com and enter your book information to see how much extra cash you can get back for your unwanted text books. 

3. Clear the Air

It’s easy to leave disputes with friends or guys unresolved after leaving campus for break. But letting tension continue with a friend at school only increases stress and distracts from working hard in classes and enjoying social life. Whether you were right or wrong in the argument, don’t let conflict with someone else continue throughout the semester. Either make up or decide that you can forgive and forget if the friendship can’t be mended. Dwelling on last semester’s drama is the fastest way to get down when back at school.

4. Brighten Up Your Space

Having a fun space that you love spending time in is one of the most important aspects of being happy on campus. It’s essential to have a room that feels like home so you can unwind and de-stress after a long day. Sometimes the drabness of the dorms or housing seems impossible to dress up without spending some serious cash. But, thrift stores and unexpected chains are now offering home décor sections that are dirt cheap. If you like the style of Urban Outfitters’ pricey apartment section, check out Forever 21’s new home decor. The styles are almost identical but at less than half the price. Two of the best tricks to warm up your room are always replacing cold fluorescent lights with Christmas lights draped around the room and filling large blank wall space with tapestries or drapes 

5. Revamp Your Closet

Believe it or not, discount stores right in College Park have some of the best deals on cute new clothes. The Prince George’s Plaza (yes, I’m serious), has incredible finds if you’re brave enough to sift through the off brand-name stores. In addition to it being a 10-minute drive from the heart of campus, the prices are great. If your going out heels are in serious need of repair after braving the bars or fraternity floors, you can actually get them fixed up at David’s Shoe Repair right next to Ratsie’s on Knox Road. If your shoes are beyond repair, the same shops at Prince George’s Plaza have cute kicks as well.